• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

agp fast writes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

Hey i heard somthing about agp fastwrites and that they will cause artifacts... this true? what is an AGP fastwrite? how can i turn them off?

I read on Adrian's RoJackpot that you can achieve a more stable OC by turning off AGP fastwrites... and having them off may actually raise your max clockspeeds. As to the technicalities, I think a little research is in order here...

Cheers.

I looked into it a bit...This is a simple post I found.
Im gonna test this theory myslef tonight.

Originally posted by spine
Fast writes enable the cpu to directly access the graphic card's frame buffer. Frankly, if that ever happens, it's gunna be real slow.

It's another now redundant AGP feature (like AGP texturing where system ram could be used as video ram, but is obviously slow as hell).

Don't worry about it, no one has EVER shown a benefit by enabling it.

Here is a (slightly) technical description:

AGP Fast Writes
A feature of the AGP 2.0 specification. When not using Fast Writes, the CPU sends all the video data to the system RAM and then notifies the Northbridge chip and graphics adapter that it is available for use. The graphics adapter then instructs the Northbridge chip that it is ready for this data and copies across the relevant material into the local memory. If Fast Write transactions are enabled, the CPU simply writes data directly into the local memory without caching it in the system RAM.

The advantage behind this is that if the bandwidth of the system RAM is particularly weak, then potential additional speed can be gained by not having to constantly write-read data to and from the system RAM. The disadvantage is that very tight signalling tolerances are required by all the components for fast write transactions to run successfully. At the moment, only a handful of graphics chips support the use of AGP Fast Writes and many manufacturers choose to disable the function in the video BIOS to prevent any potential problems occurring.

from: http://www.futuremark.com/community/hardwarevocabulary/

Cheers.

so it sounds to me that Yes if your STOCK system can have it enabled then do so...But if your looking for a decent overclock you would probably be better off disabling it as it could get all outta wack.

if everything performs fine with fastwrites off im going to just leave them off. this card loves to be oced and i dont want to have fastwrites screw anything up.

so how in fact do you turn off fast writes? the core on my 6600gt NEEDS to be ocd above 600mhz. right now it wont go above 588. but the ram ocs hulla made stock speeds are 500 core 900 ram. i can get it up to 588 / 1272 :santa:

You can turn off the agp fastwrites in your mobo BIOS or in one of the RivaTuner tabs (can't remember which one right now... at work)

Cheers.

sweet thanks. i will look into my bios and riva tuner.

i looked into it... and came up dissapointed.... fastwrites were already off. There wasnt a setting in my bios but there was in rivatuner

Start up riva tuner click on the bottom right arrow in the Target adapter box.
Then click on Low-Level system tweaks.. the first square. then there it should be staring you straight in the face AGP fastwrites. Is there n e way of unlockin more pixlepipelines or vertex shaders on a 6600gt. or will i just have to buy a VF700-CU and volt mod the sucker (slaps himself for thinking of ruining a week old card)

Last edited:
No, 6600GTs don't have anything unlockable. They are not in any way based on the core of the 6800 series cards.

Back