• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIO GPU water cooling solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want high clocks, get the 10xx Nvidia series. If you're looking for high clocks on your existing GPU, you're not guaranteed any overclock other than getting better temps and possibly a quieter system if it isn't already quiet with the stock fans. Some GPU's will OC better than the others. You might spend the extra dough on H20 and only get a little bump in stable OCs. It's a gamble really.

There you go. Thanks for the clarification JaymZ. Does the EK predator fit the FTW+? It's a borderline custom. Not sure of the price. Also what resolution do you game at? That will make a huge difference if you're considering an upgrade.

I game at 1080p and generally try to aim for 120fps vsync locked on my 144hz monitor (which i put down to 120hz).

There you go. Thanks for the clarification JaymZ. Does the EK predator fit the FTW+? It's a borderline custom. Not sure of the price. Also what resolution do you game at? That will make a huge difference if you're considering an upgrade.

EK doesn't have a water block specifically for the 970 FTW+, unfortunately, and their universal blocks don't seem to have the prefill+ QDC option.

That Kraken may be the way to go.

At 1080p I would think the 970 would be able to hit 120hz on most current titles. I would try to get your temps under control, OC it as much as you can on air and save your money for a new card when the 970 becomes to slow for the newer games. If it's already to slow for you then just grab a 1060 and sell the 970. Investing money in an old card would just be a waste IMHO.

It can hold 120fps locked on BF4 pretty good, and though im sure it'll get great FPS when BF1 comes out, I may not be able to keep it locked. Rainbow Six: Siege and The Division are in the 50-80 range, sometimes 120 in siege but they did something with the way vsync works that if it isnt getting 120 locked, it drops down to 60fps locked. When it first came out it didnt have this issue, but a big update afterwards came out and its been like that ever since. Actually it wouldnt even go over 60fps until i turned on adaptive sync in my nvidia control panel for the game. Im cool with spending $120 and doing an interesting project for my PC ($89.99 more and i can get a deepcool captain 240EX that looks absolutely awesome for an AIO, for the CPU). But yeah it absolutely performs great, but if i can spend a little to push it more, why not? $120 wouldn't get me anywhere as far as putting it towards another GPU. I figure if i can prolong the life of this one long enough (whether on air or water), when im finally ready to cave in to buying a new GPU in another year or two...if the 10xx series was this much of an improvement over the previous generation then the gen after that will be huge!

It can hold 120fps locked on BF4 pretty good, and though im sure it'll get great FPS when BF1 comes out, I may not be able to keep it locked. Rainbow Six: Siege and The Division are in the 50-80 range, sometimes 120 in siege but they did something with the way vsync works that if it isnt getting 120 locked, it drops down to 60fps locked. When it first came out it didnt have this issue, but a big update afterwards came out and its been like that ever since. Actually it wouldnt even go over 60fps until i turned on adaptive sync in my nvidia control panel for the game. Im cool with spending $120 and doing an interesting project for my PC ($89.99 more and i can get a deepcool captain 240EX that looks absolutely awesome for an AIO, for the CPU). But yeah it absolutely performs great, but if i can spend a little to push it more, why not? $120 wouldn't get me anywhere as far as putting it towards another GPU. I figure if i can prolong the life of this one long enough (whether on air or water), when im finally ready to cave in to buying a new GPU in another year or two...if the 10xx series was this much of an improvement over the previous generation then the gen after that will be huge!

At 1080p the 970 is definitely going to keep you going for quite some time, especially if you're willing to forgo some of these "super detailed hair!!" features in games.

At 1080p the 970 is definitely going to keep you going for quite some time, especially if you're willing to forgo some of these "super detailed hair!!" features in games.

Yeah i run most everything on just "high" as opposed to ultra or anything higher than that. I like a good balance while still keeping my FPS high.

Was thinking that i really like the Swiftech h220-x2 (and would also consider the prestige if its really that much better for what you get) and came across this waterblock...https://modmymods.com/alphacool-nexxxos-gpx-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-m10-incl-backplate-1011369.html

i guess it isnt a traditional "full coverage" waterblock but im sure water flowing in that block + the heatsink fins would help enough. Any feedback on this route vs nzxt kraken g10 + h55 for the GPU? (and likely a 240mm AIO for the cpu). So far, if i decide to go the liquid cooling route, im pretty happy with the low cost of of the kraken solution but going with swiftech + waterblock + additional tubing/clamps could be better, but is it worth it? Thanks

Thing is that if you get the Swiftech, you won't need a second AIO, just 4 fittings, some tubing, a GPU block and an extra 240/280 rad...

That's the setup I run at the moment (with 1*280+1*140 extra rads), and it gives me as good temps as a custom loop. wp_20160704_20_29_43_pro.jpg

Thing is that if you get the Swiftech, you won't need a second AIO, just 4 fittings, some tubing, a GPU block and an extra 240/280 rad...

That's the setup I run at the moment (with 1*280+1*140 extra rads), and it gives me as good temps as a custom loop.View attachment 181565

Nice. Yeah i was aware i wouldn't need a second AIO but was hoping i wouldn't have to add a second rad though, how necessary would that be?

Well, if you want a silent system, it helps. You can put 2 high CFM/High pressure fans, but they are noisy (and expensive), and a 280mm rad doesn't cost much...

With a 3770K and a GTX 970 overclocked, you need to dissipate +/- 300W. An extra 140 will serve you well.

Well, if you want a silent system, it helps. You can put 2 high CFM/High pressure fans, but they are noisy (and expensive), and a 280mm rad doesn't cost much...

With a 3770K and a GTX 970 overclocked, you need to dissipate +/- 300W. An extra 140 will serve you well.

Ah well i suppose i can try it the way it is if thats what i go with, and if not then i can add a rad. Do you think the pump on the swiftech h220-X2 can handle expanding a waterblock + another rad?

I'm running two AIOs (see sig) and understand that from a cooling standpoint that a custom loop will add some additional heat displacement. But I've found that AIOs are being constantly improved and I've been able to enjoy some upgrades at lower cost to acheive pretty reasonable results. Lower maintenance is another plus; I've less time to perform adequate maintenance to a loop than in the past. And from some of the tech articles/reviews that I read power consumption is and has been going down across every component that consumes electricity putting less demand on component cooling. The latest NVidia cards sip power compared with just a couple of generations ago. SSD's are sippers as well. Although loops are a great part of a well designed custom system for an enthusiast, it's got to be a commitment if you want the best long term results.:cool:

I'm running two AIOs (see sig) and understand that from a cooling standpoint that a custom loop will add some additional heat displacement. But I've found that AIOs are being constantly improved and I've been able to enjoy some upgrades at lower cost to acheive pretty reasonable results. Lower maintenance is another plus; I've less time to perform adequate maintenance to a loop than in the past. And from some of the tech articles/reviews that I read power consumption is and has been going down across every component that consumes electricity putting less demand on component cooling. The latest NVidia cards sip power compared with just a couple of generations ago. SSD's are sippers as well. Although loops are a great part of a well designed custom system for an enthusiast, it's got to be a commitment if you want the best long term results.:cool:

Those factors are some of the things pulling me towards the kraken g10 + h55 solution for GPU and a 240 AIO for CPU actually. Just a matter of deciding at this point, and what would be more effective. One solution would cost me nearly $300, the other just about $200 (and would likely be transferable to future cards unlike the more expensive solution having a 970 specific waterblock). I would be putting on VRM and VRAM heatsinks on the card if i go with a kraken solution...

Last edited:
Back