• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Air Cool Fan Positioning Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys , I seen some people using " Pull " configuration for air cooling , which basically it's exhaust i guess...I was wondering does this method actually works?

Because the ones i seen are usually test bench , since their system is all open up and exposed maybe it could work even the cooling isn't so efficient :shrug:

But thing is im not very sure is it actually set to " Pull " but his fan is on the other side instead of the RAM side...so if were to be in a case , having it as
" Pull " seems more logical , since your rear exhaust fan will able to help pull the hot air out faster from the fan of the heatsink

Has anyone try it ? I tried Google it , not much luck....there is one guy who did numerous of tests...it's basically the same cooling performance as " Push "

Also , could you actually mount your heatsink vertical instead of horizontal ?
Meaning air is being pull up / push upwards instead. Some said it's based on your mounting of your cooler.

But...the way i look at it , isn't it all same either ways ? Anyone have experience with this ? Currently im using a water cool i couldn't try swapping it and if i were to i had to reapply the thermal paste and clean the CPU....

About using it vertically, Yes, you can use it vertically. I've seen some people positioned it like that before, also me myself accidently positioned it vertically when installing my first CM H212 not too long ago.

About using it vertically, Yes, you can use it vertically. I've seen some people positioned it like that before, also me myself accidently positioned it vertically when installing my first CM H212 not too long ago.

I notice your on AMD Platform , actually the ones i seen installing vertical are on AMD Sockets too....im using Intel , so that's why im curious could ours Intel Socket install them vertical too....

You meant your cooler is a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO ?
Hmmmm the one i saw it's too using this cooler lol , but maybe this is the only cooler that could be install vertical positioning....that's why im having doubts about others and asking if anyone have some experience with other coolers and on Intel Socket.

Hmm. Pulling air without any push has a slight problem. The strongest part of the fan airflow is towards the edges. Meaning the fan will pull from the sides of the cooler, and less from the far side. Possibly negating a lot of air flowing over the cooler surface area.

In push the air is forced through pretty much all the fins. Now, if you were to seal all the fin sides so the fan could only pull from the far side? Hmmm? Duct tape science.......

Hmm. Pulling air without any push has a slight problem. The strongest part of the fan airflow is towards the edges. Meaning the fan will pull from the sides of the cooler, and less from the far side. Possibly negating a lot of air flowing over the cooler surface area.

In push the air is forced through pretty much all the fins. Now, if you were to seal all the fin sides so the fan could only pull from the far side? Hmmm? Duct tape science.......

I see how about the vertical mounting , is that possible for all coolers and on Intel sockets ?

I know fans will tend to die faster if mounted upside down since it's against gravity.....

Also in that case what you think if i have the fan set to " Push " but i mounting on the left side instead of the usual right side where the RAM section is. It too is able to perform as usual right ?

Good fans don't care what directions. Bearing fans don't care, the old Yates were sleeve bearings and after a year or two could.

Push is best for one fan on an aircooled CPU HS.

Couldn't really find out about the best bearing for fans....because there are so many types and some are sort of unique for their own brand.....some even patented it.....

But what's your opinion / experience for the best bearing be ??

Like Noctua is using something called " SSO bearing " this is my first time hearing such bearing on the fans lol , till now i search it on Noctua site....

Usually the ones i see are like Sleeve Bearing / Fluid something....i think my Xigmatek ones are Brushless Bearing

Noctua are great fans. They use bearing, not sleeves.

They all use magic marketing words to describe their bearings. Quality fans have bearings. Cheap ones maybe not.

Xig fans of course don't have brushes in the bearings, another way to say the same thing, "we use bearings".

For intel sockets i am not too sure, but yes it is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 that could've mounted either ways. vertical or horizontal. Im also not too sure of other coolers being capbable of vertical positioning. xD

Noctua are great fans. They use bearing, not sleeves.

They all use magic marketing words to describe their bearings. Quality fans have bearings. Cheap ones maybe not.

Xig fans of course don't have brushes in the bearings, another way to say the same thing, "we use bearings".

I see...so what I have to look for are fans which uses bearings then.
But i guess going for fans with long warranty definitely states it's a good fan lol , till now im still rather shocked that Noctua provides over 5 - 6 Years warranty for their fans :shock: I think i might have them changed to another ones before warranty expires lol

I see...so what I have to look for are fans which uses bearings then.
But i guess going for fans with long warranty definitely states it's a good fan lol , till now im still rather shocked that Noctua provides over 5 - 6 Years warranty for their fans :shock: I think i might have them changed to another ones before warranty expires lol

Nice thing about that is you can still have them as spares or use them on another build if you do that. They don't really go bad so its nice to have extra in case you need them or say try something fun with them. More than likely tho is that you will still have them fans in and they will do a good job for plenty of years to come. So there won't really need to be changed out unless you change something about your case such as colors or something that requires changing them

True , I will have spares if i do so. And i guess i might need them lol , for that before i changed to this Corsair RAM , im using a Kingmax , on the day i brought home my Corsair RAM , it failed MemTest86...luckily i still have the old Kingmax as a substitute while i return my Corsair RAM.

Guys know about Negative and Positive Air Pressure ? I Google it , one way another is that Positive tends to blow dust out while Negative tends to attract dust in.....

But im not entirely sure how to tell how is this setup a Negative / Positive.....

What is mine ? I have a Carbide 400R

2X Front Intake , 2X Side Intake , 1X Bottom Intake , 2X HDD Cage Intake
2X Exhaust Top , 2X Rear Exhaust (Push-Pull) for AIO Water Cooler Radiator

Also if you decide to go crazy rads on a custom loop or just mod your case to fit more fans you will have them.

About the positive/negative pressure, I've heard that positive is what you want or no pressure so its not as bad on the dust.

The usual way I believe to determine pressure is your rpm of your fans i think. I'm not sure how to determine it exactly or how to get an exact reading. Someone here on the forums could tell you exactly.

Having ran fans on cooler in both push and pull (and seeing others doing it and recording differences) I can say the difference is minimal.. 1c.. maybe 2 at the most. Same applies to running 1, 2, or 3 fans on a single or twin tower. If the fans are good fans it's 1c per fan difference.

Case positive/negative; try to balance the intake/exhaust so neither one is trying to overpower the other. Slightly more in than out is nice only because a little air might leak out optical drive, usb sockets, switches, etc. instead of air leaking in them and causing dust to collect on them. We want good airflow in our cases so all the heated air coming out of cooler exhausts and off of heatsinks leaves case without mixing into the cool intake air and causing hotter than room temp to go into our coolers. Of course the air in a case will be a little warmer.. Just blowing through a couple of HDD will raise it a couple of degrees. But we do not want it 6-10c warmer than room because components will also be the same 6-10c warmer.

Back