• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air getting sucked into loop without water leakage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonFrost

Registered

I'll start off by saying I built this a month ago. And I shut it down everyday. I'm usually on it around 6 to 8 hours. By the time I get home the next day when I first turn on the pc I'll always 2 or 3 decent size bubbles coming from 1 tube. Idk if it's the rotary 45 degree fitting leaking or the actual motherboard vrm waterblock.

Where I am seeing the bubbles is in the nearly 180 bend going into the cpu block, from the motherboard block.

Like I said, this has persisted for over a month, every day. I've tried ramping up the pump speed to 100 % to push them through, I've tried tilting the case a bit. Has anyone ever had an air leak without water coming out? I find it hard to believe Im still bleeding the air out after a months time. Plus I don't understand why the bubbles would only be appearing in that tube. I'd expect any bubbles to be coming from the radiator, but it is only accumulating in the tube between cpu block and motherboard block.

The air pocket is forming because that part of the block is the highest point in the loop. You're going to have to tilt the case on it's back and run it like that for a while so it'll dislodge. Could also be the design of that VRM block that might have a cavity that the air is always trapped in that spot.

There's the bubbles in talking about.

They hover there for a bit, they usually go through on their own but I usually go into my pump settings and ramp it up to 100% from 50% to speed it up. Then I drop it back down to 50% and continue my day.

I gotta agree with CD, the air is still working itself out. I'm leaning towards the angle of the tubing making air find a way to that specific spot. Might have to rethink that bend.

To be clear, the bubbles come from above that tube, not in it. They seem to originate somewhere inside the vrm block or the fitting. I only see the bubbles when the pump starts and pushes them down, then I ramp it up to push tunnel out of the loop.

Is there any reason why they would keep appearing after long hours of non usage? For example, I push those 2 bubbles out and watch them escape into the top of my reservoir. I shut down pc and wait say 10 minutes. I turn pc on, not a single new bubble.

I shut it down, go to work, come home 9 hours later and turn pc on, 2 bubbles float down from the vrm block to that same spot.

As I stated: There has to be a design flaw with the VRM block and 2: the angle of the hardline you have from the VRM block to the CPU block. Some ppl use a "U" from the VRM block to the CPU block to help prevent that same thing that is happening to you.

If the system was sucking air back into the loop, you would be having a leak coming from the spot where the air is being sucked in from. Do you have any leaks?

No leaks, that's why I was confused why it was happening and asked if anyone had any similar issues.

I was kinda forced to use a 45 degree fitting there because there was no room for a fitting because of the fan. I the picture the fan is actually against the 45 degree fitting

Thanks for your help btw

Hmmm, I see your point. Well instead of having the angle go straight down towards the CPU block, have you tried turning the angle away from the CPU block, but this will result in the tubing being longer. Similar like a "C" . I know you can't remove the fitting and use something else, but this way you'll still use that same fitting, but route the line towards the rear of the case and back towards the block. Get me?

I think so, as long as I'm not going to leak water Im not to worried. More curious how long itll take to bleed this out if I keep pushing the bubbles through every day.

I plan on doing a few new bends when I do maintenance in a year, so I'll dink with that one too

Well so long as your temps aren't suffering, then you should be good. Just gotta deal with a nuisance for a while. I remember having stubborn air bubbles when I started watercooling. Man what a pain that was! I never turned off the pc cause I hated the sound my pump would make when the air was moving through it into the res.

Hopefully you'll get that air out! :thup:

Leave it on a few days. Every chance you get shake the PC and tilt it. Again leave it on for a few days. It's what many of us do with a new loop. Even before finishing the build, ie applying power to the mobo etc. It takes time to get rid of bubbles, especially with a troublesome loop setup.

If there are no leaks, I wouldn't worry.

In most cases it's either air is being lodged somewhere and coming out slowly (normal) or the pump(s) are redirecting air into the loop from the res. That happens with me on every startup since my pumps in series ramp up to 100% before the controller kicks in and brings them down to 40%, not to mention I have a shallow res.

I'll start off by saying I built this a month ago. And I shut it down everyday. I'm usually on it around 6 to 8 hours. By the time I get home the next day when I first turn on the pc I'll always 2 or 3 decent size bubbles coming from 1 tube. Idk if it's the rotary 45 degree fitting leaking or the actual motherboard vrm waterblock.

Where I am seeing the bubbles is in the nearly 180 bend going into the cpu block, from the motherboard block.

Like I said, this has persisted for over a month, every day. I've tried ramping up the pump speed to 100 % to push them through, I've tried tilting the case a bit. Has anyone ever had an air leak without water coming out? I find it hard to believe Im still bleeding the air out after a months time. Plus I don't understand why the bubbles would only be appearing in that tube. I'd expect any bubbles to be coming from the radiator, but it is only accumulating in the tube between cpu block and motherboard block.
I'm actually having the same issues did you ever figure out a solution?

Air bubbles are coming from my VRM waterblock only on unit startup. I see them coming out of the tubing from the VRM to my CPU block and will typically get stuck in my CPU block until I tilt my tower. Been happening for 6+ months, when I first commissioned the system I fully tilted and rotated the tower to get as much air out as possible and to my reservoir to vent. So for air to still be trapped and coming out after 6+ months I'm pretty doubtful. No leaks have been noticed. I thought it was the fitting and recently drained the system and replaced the top fitting as well as sanded down the end of the pipe to ensure it was flush and I'm still having the same issue.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7157 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7157 Large.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 4
I've had some bubbles in my water since I built my current setup. My temps are good and haven't seen any problems other than a little more noise than I like coming from the pump at times.

If it really bothers you try draining some of the fluid and replacing it. When I first built this I had more air than I liked that wouldn't come out so I drained about a reservoir worth of fluid and refilled it and the bubbles dropped a good bit. I don't know if it was something with the pre-mix or what but it did reduce the bubbles some. Personally I wouldn't worry about it though.

Just an FYI... he has his own thread. Let's stick to one for troubleshooting. :)

Just an FYI... he has his own thread. Let's stick to one for troubleshooting. :)

Yeah sorry, I had originally commented on this one, but after I did there was a notification saying since the last activity on this thread was 4 years ago to start a new one, so I did.

Back