• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

air-trap not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kookymonster

Registered
I'm testing my new eheim 1048 with a t-piece like this:

img1.jpg

I think I've made an air trap there! however, no air is being trapped, it just gurgles around the loop...
what do I need to do to get it working?

grr you may have to refresh that pic or paste it to your address bar

the air trap must be at the highest point of the system. also to increase flow rates set the T-piece up so the water can go through it straight and the air trap is 90 degrees to the pipes (i would do a picture but it is too complicated to upload on this computer - it's a mac) all i mean is have the air trap at the base of the T

I am using a T joint in my system and it doesn't work very well. All the little bubbles are flowing to fast to float to the top and escape. You need something that will give the bubbles time to escape. Once water is able to flow through your system it doesn't matter where your airtrap is. If the bubbles are moving they will find a way out through the trap.

If you put the "t" right before the intake of the pump it will work much better. The way you have it now the bubbles are coming out of the outlet all thrashed up by the impeller into smaller bubbles which will just bypass the "t". With the "t" directly before the intake the bubbles have had maximum time to collect into larger bubbles that will rise into the "t". It is not necessary to have the "t" at the highest point of the system and its actually better to have it at the lowest point because that allows you to have a longer air trap and more reserve coolant.

mota said:
If you put the "t" right before the intake of the pump it will work much better. The way you have it now the bubbles are coming out of the outlet all thrashed up by the impeller into smaller bubbles which will just bypass the "t". With the "t" directly before the intake the bubbles have had maximum time to collect into larger bubbles that will rise into the "t". It is not necessary to have the "t" at the highest point of the system and its actually better to have it at the lowest point because that allows you to have a longer air trap and more reserve coolant.

that is exactly true. very good and on point advice fellas. we need to dispel the myth that the air trap needs to be the highest point in the system.

I was actually skeptical about that myth too, people seem to forget that air will not escape, to to positive pressure.
nice idea about putting the t-piece before the pump, I'll test that right now

Back