• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air/Water Suggestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I use 3x 140mm intakes and no exhaust fans.. but my intakes are cooler fans so will push the air out.

What?

That doesn't even follow the laws of fluid mechanics or thermodynamics....

Instead of using exhaust fans to pull air out and thus have the airflow needed I have fans with enough static pressure with exhaust vents in the proper places so there is good airflow though case. Thus providing cool air to cooler intakes and moving the hot exhaust air out of case.

Ok... sure does help to have some exhaust fans taking the slightly warmer air out in most cases though (think push+pull fans on a heatsink).

Sometimes it does. We all know adding a 2nd or 3rd fan usually only improves cooler by 1c per additional fan.. That is assuming the fans are powerful enough they don't need the 2nd fan pulling to keep the static pressure created by cooler (or case) from slowing the airflow.

I'm not saying exhaust fans are not needed on some cases to get good airflow. But just mounting more fans does not give good flow. They have to be positioned properly and have airflow proportionate to what case needs.

It's all a balancing act.

Edit:
It's as simple; "What flows in mus flow out."

I'm not going to get into the more intake or exhaust, but I dont think anyone would balk at having SOME exhaust on there to create better airFLOW through almost any case.

Most here recommend front/sides = intake and top/rear = exhaust for airflow/fan direction.

Agreed. I dont see any balance on your end though, LOL!

Why not? Airflow is just that. Air flowing though the case. What flows in must flow out. In my case (no pun) that flow only requires intake fans and open exhaust vents.

What you may be missing is the turbulence and the air staying inside the case longer than it needs to because there is no exhaust assisting/directing the flow out.

Oh well, to each their own, but to nobody would I recommend all intake. Some exhaust is undoubetdly helpful in nearly every case.. I would imagine even yours. ;)

Cheers. :)

Like I said in post #24
I'm not saying exhaust fans are not needed on some cases to get good airflow. But just mounting more fans does not give good flow. They have to be positioned properly and have airflow proportionate to what case needs.
ehume has written lots on another forum in a thread named "How to decide on a case for air cooling (warning - pics)" about how to develop good airflow in cases (1869 posts). His own system (Hotrod Evo) doesn't have exhaust fans.

I just read the first post in that thread and there are a few things I disagree with/have questions about (how can you have negative pressure/CFM when there isnt any active exhaust to name one thing. The BEST that can be and like is, neutral)... but that is OK. This isn't the time or place. To each their own! :)

I just read the first post in that thread and there are a few things I disagree with/have questions about (how can you have negative pressure/CFM when there isnt any active exhaust to name one thing. The BEST that can be and like is, neutral)... but that is OK. This isn't the time or place. To each their own! :)
Here's the link to his "negative pressure case with no case fans"
http://www.overclock.net/t/748134/negative-pressure-rig-with-no-case-fanspy

Not saying it's for everyone but it does work and can be done. That's all I'm saying.

Have a good one.

Here's the link to his "negative pressure case with no case fans"
http://www.overclock.net/t/748134/negative-pressure-rig-with-no-case-fanspy

Not saying it's for everyone but it does work and can be done. That's all I'm saying.

Have a good one.

"The sheer number of holes you now have in your case means that its pretty much impossible to pressurize or de-pressurize. All you've done is increase airflow. Had you sealed off all of the holes instead of opening them you would have done more to decrease the pressure."

I'd like to call it a blow case... not only is it ugly, it also defeats the purpose of a case... I'd (not) love to have an animal or person reach in my "open vents" and chop off his finger or bend my heatsink... If one wants a case that open, why not just buy a crummy old one off Craigslist for 10 bucks and run with all the paneling off, then you won't need any fans and can call it an ALL NATURALE case :rofl:...

sheesh.

Sorry to see you're not going watercooling Fanatical: That is a super nice heatsink and will surely fit in your kickace case, enjoy your badace system buddy and thanks for the topic!

My tj08-e was intake only for a good while. Til I swapped the psu around to exhaust and added a h60 at the back which counts as my exhaust. But some cases are designed for that kind of thing anyway. Tbh airflow and what's best depends entirely on the setup and the case. Not necessarily 'positive is better or negative is better' arguments. Or all intake or all exhaust Etc.

The Silverstone fortress ft02 has what, 3 180mm intakes and only one 120mm exhaust. So I think it's more case dependent than anything.

I personally prefer a slightly positive pressure for my cases. But honestly I don't think it matters hugely.

As for the OPs case. I'd probably stick with what the case comes with. I'd actually probably move the back fan to the front. Have two intakes at the front. One exhaust at the top. Let the d14 exhaust naturally out the back in the now empty slot. That's assuming you don't add any extra fans.

Back