• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware, better option?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FlakMonkey said:
Ok you said 2000 dollars so here we go... I am biased towards EPoX...

CPU: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 3800+
MOBO: EPoX 9NPA+Ultra
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB
HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 300GB 16MB Cache
GPU: eVGA 7800GTX
PSU: FSP 550W
HSF: Thermalright XP90C
Optical 1: LiteOn DVD Drive
Optical 2: NEC DVD Burner 3540A
Display: BenQ 19" 8ms LCD Monitor

tada.

Go with this for pure gameing. Also Check this guy out for the $3800 X2 OEM New for $250 Here!! !!

Thank you for your suggestion. Did i mention it was $2000 without a screen :p. Anyway thank you for your suggestions, im going to look into cases and then im ready to buy.

oh for a monitor...get a dell 2005fpw or 2405fpw....or 2. Don't skimp on the peripherals, unlike the hardware, these will last a few years.

I second the 2005 fpw, Seriously though if you want, I will be glad to build you a system online for you just pm me and give your exact budget US dollars and what case you want and I can get you a setup that will be the best for the money. Keep in mind everyone differs on what is the best but there is a general agreement as to what is best. Just for instance I Like epox better than dfi but most will disagree right now but everyone agrees the epox and dfi are in the same league.

No problem man, I hope you have a good system and a blast putting it together, I just built my first and man...better than using it! :p

Your question has already been fully answered but I'd like to add my 2 cents. If you really are worried about putting it together yourself just go and find an old computer ,offices chuck them out quite a lot or you could buy one for like £20 at a car boot sale (I did). Take it apart and just have a look around. If its a very old one you may have no idea what it'll be like to build a new one but you'll have the experience handling components and its quite fun. When your bored with it you can take a hammer to it for even more laughs (big sledge hammer + PII = several minutes of insane laughing).

Building a computer is not that hard. I find its harder to get it setup than just putting components together.

{ace of spades} said:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
$109.50

SONY Black IDE DVD Burner Model DWQ28A - OEM

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor -

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

XFX Geforce 6800GT PVT45GUDF3 Video Card - Retail

I still want to try and find a case i like, but how does the above sound?
Looks like a great system so far, check out this page for cases Newegg case section.

Looks pretty good too me (tho that's not saying much :p). You have all the parts you'll need and they all fit together. Btw, nice job going for a 64 x2 instead of some P4 garbage :p. Dunno if you're gonna need a 580w PS tho... I put in the parts you had listed on this site, and you should really only need a 400-450w PS. But if you have a big budget, then you can keep the current PS for future upgradeability or something like that...

{ace of spades} said:
Here is what i was thinking, before i go for it will it be ok?

you may want to get another hard drive besides for the raptor.. also, i'd look into a different hd, hiper isn't a very well-known company, and like gnufsh said, you definetely don't want to skip on the psu. since you got the money, i'd go with a pcp&c 510.

You have made a good selection, I am kinda of Anti raptor, but that seems to go against the mainstream here. IMHO, I would get a Hitachi deskstar 300gb over a raptor but many will disagree. With my seagate sata two drive, I am 98% of the time the first person to load in games, the other 2% I am number 2.

Actually I would drop the raptor and use the saved money to get 7800gtx instead of the gt.

Back