• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

all in one computers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
my secretary has been bugging me for a little computer for her desk that is not tied in to our highly restrictive network and today I gave in and gave her a budget of $500 to get one.
she came in from lunch with what was a rather small box for a computer but, it was a computer and a wireless dongle.
I opend the box and lifted out what felt a little heavy for a cheap monitor, pulled out a keyboard and mouse............
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...... no computer.
pulled out the instructions and the monitor is the computer and everything!!!!!
she walks over and says, "take all that junk off of it, make it act like yours and set it up on my desk and tell me merry Christmas".
so I brought it home and set it up, just one wire, the power cord, neat and tidy.
it has built in wifi so not even a dongle needed.
I'm just running the powershell scripts to decrapify the thing but this thing is really neat!!!! one wire and no mess, who knew.........

Yup, and I bet they're decent speed as well. One of my friends has one and runs some rc helicopters simulator software on it. He likes it.

A while back I built my mother a little nuc and stuck it on the back of her tv, that's going in the junk pile and I'm getting mom one!!!!
she'll love the one cable thing, she hates wires.

What I don't like about AIO computers is that they are generally under powered because the cooling is limited, much like a laptop. And they can be a pain to fix. Is this a new unit that your secretary got or used?

new, she grabbed it at wall mart, here in hooterville it's Walmart, best buy or sam druckers.
sure it's not a powerhouse but it's just for websurfing, email and hunting down information we need, no heavy tasks involved.

My baby sister had an AIO pc. I saw it once, but never messed with it. Then about a year later it went ka-poot. I told her to ship it to me and I'll work on it. No, she throws the dam thing out and gets a laptop.

I asked her how much did she pay for it. She goes: "about a grand" and she threw it out :facepalm:

Would've been nice to see what it had inside behind the screen, but nope. A grand..geez.

I've worked on AIO computers. Essentially, they use a laptop motherboard and many of the CPUs used are mobile CPUs, so cut down versions of their desktop counterparts.

I can see them as another form of laptop, but for those that prefer a mouse, standard keyboard and standard monitor they are very nice.
people like my mother and little bee (and me) that don't like the tap and swipe pad would love them.
looking at specs, they are limited in cpu and video but they are a form factor to consider.

Well yeah, but casual surfing around is more than enough! Even pair it with tv and Bluetooth keyboard+mouse, enjoy YouTube and overclockers.com right from bed or sofa!!

I have to admit, it does look good on her desk, and even I have to say the cable management job is awesome looking, even though I did it myself.........

I think all in one computers would be much more popular if there was a way to use them as an external monitor as well as a computer. Just add a HDMI IN port and it can be used with a cable box, game console, or another computer. The monitor portion could be useful long after the computer portion is deemed too slow to be your main computer or the computer part no longer functions.

I believe there's a reason they don't have external input options. Too slow? Get rid of it and buy **New** model with built in DVD player!

It's all business:)

AIO have mostly laptop components but for 95% office work they're still more than enough. I'm selling AIO from time to time but usually typical PC is cheaper. For sure it saves space in the office and looks better.
The most budget PC would be compute stick mounted on the back of the monitor and for typical office work it's still good. These new quad core atoms are not that bad :)

Back