• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All rails having high voltages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

So today I had a short in my pc, fixed it (was a + cable that wasn't insulated anymore), then I went to measure my voltages. Now, I haven't measured these in 3 years or so for this PSU, but I was measuring 5.96V on the +5V rail line and 13.96 on the 12V line.

That's measured with a multimeter. If I use the software I used to monitor it, it says 11.93V for the 12V line and 5.13V for the 5V line.

I'm not sure if I trust the multimeter though. It's giving 255V for the electric grid( is 230V here) and 14,5V for a motorcycle battery( which doesn't exceed 13.8V according to my motorcycle's onboard computer).

Should I be worried here?

That would be a shame if it dropped significantly as a good PC keeps the voltages as stable as possible. ;)

That said, most read a little high, but if thats right, thats WELL above the 5% ATX specification for the 12v and 5v rails.

Im telling you that all power sources have a voltage drop. I was reading about people who convert atx psu's to a 12v power source. Voltage drops when a load is put on.

My rails drop .03 with a load on it. The OP's problem is WAAAAY higher than that and if it drops to within spec, its a problem. PSU rails a NOT supposed to sag that much....which is what I said. ;)

Back