• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost small enough to be a cereal box toy...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tabrin said:
Holy crap. I thought for a second when I clicked on the link for the Cappuccino that the normal CPU temp was 75C! :p
That diagram doesn't make any sense. The cooling setup of the machine is just as effective as a 1U heatsink, but without the added noise.

Update a year later! Well, technically anyways. This action was actually performed several months ago I just never got around to posting this.

After using this machine for extended lengths of time I became resolved to try and replace the stock cooling unit with something quieter. After some convoluted shoping and some very nervous testing I had to find a suitable 5V powered fan the right size to replace the stock fan that was making 35dba of high-pitched annoyance. Directron for some reason had something suitable so I ordered it and after one of the more nerve-rackingly small soldering sessions of my life (second only to the pin-mod I did to an old Asus A7N266M) I rewired the stock fan connector to the new fan.
The heatsink was staken from an embedded machine and is a very small solid extruded aluminum piece with square fins.
Here's the before
10_inside.jpg
And the after
10_hs2.jpg

The noise has been reduced to a meager 24dBa without sacrificing cooling efficiency. In fact, the PIII 700mhz that's installed stays cool enough that I was also able to unplug the side exhaust fan.

firebat45 said:
i thought it was 1.2 ghz? did you swap out the proc on it?
Quite a while ago yes. The 1.2 turned out to be a celeron (ebay seller lied to me) and oddly enough the PIII 700 outperforms it while outputting less heat.

The tiny PCs are always so cool, and of course CaptainSlug never ceases to find all kinds of cool toys buried in the confines of the internet ;)

"ohhhh what would you do for a Klondike© Bar?"

Back