• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost the same... But not. ASUS PRO vs PRO Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pr3dict

Hi All,

I'm building a PC that I should be overclocking and its pretty simple.

i5-6600k
GTX1080 FE
G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

I just picked up https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/ because it was basically the only thing micro center had in stock.

But I read a review for https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO/ and it seems like this is the better motherboard?

Can someone confirm if I should stick with this board which seems like it is discontinued or should I jump to another board?

I need to stick with buying at http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/westbury.aspx or another close by (queens maybe) because of the sweet combo deals they have.

Thanks!!

Why would you want to change? What features are you missing the other boards have that you NEED?

Outside of that, it really is a 6 of one, half dozen of the other, type situation.

I'm sure the gaming board will suit you just fine. Is there something in particular that "bothers" you about it ?

Nothing that bothers me but Quality comes to question. I want a board that has good quality parts and from the reviews over at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132567 it seems people have had some issues with it..

Also, it kind of scares me a little when a company discontinues a board that is less then a year old. (Reason I think it's discontinued is you can only find it on ASUS website by searching google)

Newegg reviews... LOL. We have a thread ridiculing those. 90% of newegg users posting reviews are clueless. Its only good for DOA type statistics as half of what you see are likely user/configuration errors.

Seems to me its a solid board... have you read any other reviews on either of them (google [name of board] reviews)?

"What the testing shows create a compelling argument for whether a ROG brand is truly necessary to get the best gaming performance. At stock settings, the clear answer would be no –with the more budget-orientated Z170 clearly showing that it’s the better board out the box with little hassle. The ROG Maximus definitely features more future-proof memory and better, more stable overclocking tools, but for the more moderate, regular PC gamer out there it isn’t’ the better choice"

http://www.lazygamer.net/technology/pc-hardware/intel/asus-z170-pro-gaming-reviewbudget-brilliance/

I am going to overclock to hopefully 4.5ghz based on what I saw on the skylake overclock thread.

If this board can handle that then sure. If not then ... then what lol.

Either board will easily handle 4.5Ghz assuming the CPU/your cooling solution will let it. In other words, any decent board (which both are) will not hold back your overclock.

You do not need a high end board for overclocking with ambient cooling methods.

Not sure you will get 4.5GHz out of that cooler... depends on the chip, airflow in the case, and ambient temps. Only time will tell.

Are you sure that child is going to fit? The case has a listed height of 178mm, the cooler has a height listed at 155mm. That leaves just 23mm, this may seem like a lot but once you remove the thickness of the chassis panels and account for the height of the mobo and standoff you will be getting really tight on space.

I cannot tell from the pictures but it looks like the 2 front 120 fans are split apart so that is not ideal for a drop in water cooling option unless you are willing to do some modding.

I don't have a great solution off hand right now but I would definitely do some more research on what fits that case before committing to a cooler.

Are you sure that child is going to fit? The case has a listed height of 178mm, the cooler has a height listed at 155mm. That leaves just 23mm, this may seem like a lot but once you remove the thickness of the chassis panels and account for the height of the mobo and standoff you will be getting really tight on space.

I cannot tell from the pictures but it looks like the 2 front 120 fans are split apart so that is not ideal for a drop in water cooling option unless you are willing to do some modding.

I don't have a great solution off hand right now but I would definitely do some more research on what fits that case before committing to a cooler.

Yeah it may be very tight if not at all. My issue is that I need a rack mount case and that looked like the best one for the project.

If I do a all in one water option I can probably mod the rear 80mm fan spot easier. There is a good amount t of room above the fans to accounts t for the size difference.

My only other option I can think of is to do an exterior water solution like one of the Koolance setups. Issue with that is I don't see a good return. I literally have only the cpu and the graphics card in there. No other hard drives or anything so I don't know if it would be worth it.

There are some decent "C" type ,down blowing coolers as well.

Back