• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alright, time for FUN! Overclocking my 7850k to make an awesome Lan Party Beast!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fugu

Details first:

I have had this computer basically since Kaveri was released and it's been a work horse spare computer since Kaveri was purchased and the only problem i've had with it was the Corsair H60 cooler pump failing last summer in which I just RMA'd peacefully with Corsair. The computer is a small form factor Micro ATX box and has seen a few upgrades and downgrades over it's short lifespan. It's been to a Road Racing Meet running a 280x and iRacing.com Simulation software as a demo, it's run an R7 250 in dual graphics to be a battlefield 4 and minecraft machine for my son and it's seen water and air cooling. Most recent additions to it would be a Kingston 120gb SSD and an MSI 280x with some slimming down of it's freshly installed Windows 7 OS in 64 bit. It's boot up times from pushing on to accessing windows is done in 16 seconds without an overclock done to it yet!

Further upgrades in the future may see this PC going two ways. Corsair Air 240 to match my Air 540 8350fx powered cube or Corsair 380T lan party case!

Components list as follows:

Fractal Design Core 1000 Micro ATX case
Asus A88xm-A Micro ATX Motherboard
Silverstone Strider 500watt Powersupply
AMD7850K Kaveri 12core Processor
G Skills 8 Gb Ram 2400mhz
MSI 280x Twin Frozr 3gb
Corsair H60 Closed Loop cooler
Windows 7 64bit
Kingston 120gb SSD
Asus DVD drive

So, on to the overclocking fun for a few hours this morning.

JASyYK0.jpg

Havn't safely gotten anywhere lol. I can't find a single good guide or resource to assist with nailing some of the settings to start tweaking. I'm going to keep gathering resources to ensure I take the right steps forward (as the computer sits it's pretty rediculously fast).

I have mine running pretty stable @ 4.6 on a decent custom loop with just a slim black ice rad, soon to be expanded and have benched as high as 4.7 last month in the overclocktagon. There really is no guide for these like we have with the fx chips so to speak but check out the Asus rog forum they have a guide there when they overclocked this chip on the ranger rog board. If you can't find it I can link it when I get home from work.

I have mine running pretty stable @ 4.6 on a decent custom loop with just a slim black ice rad, soon to be expanded and have benched as high as 4.7 last month in the overclocktagon. There really is no guide for these like we have with the fx chips so to speak but check out the Asus rog forum they have a guide there when they overclocked this chip on the ranger rog board. If you can't find it I can link it when I get home from work.

From what i'm reading the Ram is the biggest factor in getting it to OC stable. What i'm most concerned with is all the C6 and power saving stuff that has to be turned off to get this to be right. As you said and i've realized there really isn't a good overclocking guide out there. I tried this before when I first got it and couldn't get the GPU side to clock well, now with a 280x in the box all I want is a decent boost out of the CPU side and the 8350 looks like a way easier chip to OC lol!

It's pretty much the same as the Fx Fugu, raise the multi or Fsb and add voltage when needed. Only thing I do remember when I oced my dad's was AMD overdrive was the only software that could monitor the temps, though that was a year ago so things may have changed. Also AMD overdrive shows distance to recommended max temp, not the actual temp. Overclocking the ram is really only important if you're using the IGpu, if using the R9 280X then you're not going to see that much of a difference, gaming wise that is.

It's pretty much the same as the Fx Fugu, raise the multi or Fsb and add voltage when needed. Only thing I do remember when I oced my dad's was AMD overdrive was the only software that could monitor the temps, though that was a year ago so things may have changed. Also AMD overdrive shows distance to recommended max temp, not the actual temp. Overclocking the ram is really only important if you're using the IGpu, if using the R9 280X then you're not going to see that much of a difference, gaming wise that is.

Hmm. I'll start again this evening when I get home from work. I'll re-read through the FX overclock threads and see what kind of Bios settings I have to turn off. I think thats a big factor in stopping me from even getting started with an overclock.

I'll post some screens later when I get home. Yes ram made a big difference when I switched to the AMD ram I bought as well as adding BLCK to my oc.

Hmm. I'll start again this evening when I get home from work. I'll re-read through the FX overclock threads and see what kind of Bios settings I have to turn off. I think thats a big factor in stopping me from even getting started with an overclock.

These OC just like any other AMD processor. having trouble?? Post some screen shots so we can see what is going on brother.

A Start

I don't normally just drop settings out like this and I have left nothing out ....... take what you can from this but in no way am I saying what have used here will work for you. This is the settings I used last for my run in the Overclocktigon and are NOT STABLE and should be considered EXTREAM for normal cooling.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-SuperPi-32M?p=7772798&viewfull=1#post7772798

There are a couple more subs in there you can check to see how they progressed if you feel like.

What I have turned off .....

1.jpg

Ram ...... http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_1239&item_id=063855
I am using EXT1 which is an AMP Profile.

2.jpg

My settings ......
notice the APU Frequency ...... raising this really helped with my scores.
Notice the NB Frequency ........ when left in Auto this was jumping all over the place from 1400 ish to 1800 is mhz. Hard setting this also helped get up off 4.5GHZ where I had been stuck.

3.jpg

Ram settings ...... nothing special.

4.jpg

Setting my Target TDP....... seemed to help. I have this set 100MHZ higher then I was using.

5.jpg

Voltages ...... on this board I only have Offset Voltage settings ....... pretty self explanatory.

6.jpg

Digi VRM ....... Load Line Calibrations.

7.jpg

Temp Monitoring ....... hard to say what to use as you can see below

8.jpg

Ran prime for a bit as expected had two workers drop off after 4 - 5 min ....... like I said this is not stable ...... notice the two differences in temp......like I said its hard to tell what to use for temp monitoring. I doubt the accuracy of temps in HWMonitor but then again someone else may have more info to share.

9.jpg

Once again ....... in no way am I saying what have used here will work for you. This is the settings I used last for my run in the Overclocktigon and are NOT STABLE and should be considered EXTREAM for normal cooling.

I hope something here helps you get your OC Sorted out. Any questions just ask I will try and help.

I hope something here helps you get your OC Sorted out. Any questions just ask I will try and help.

This is awesome! It'll give me a really good visual on what settings you've tweaked and I should be able to pour over some guides to see what I can produce on my own! Thank you for putting so much effort into a single post, that is simply amazing to see!

I'll play with some of this tonight for sure and see if I can get a stable base going then start tweaking it up!

I'd be tweaking it now if I wasn't having to install 160+92+59 updates! Yes, 3 different occasions and 3 massive updates installs.. WTF.

Last edited:
I don't normally just drop settings out like this and I have left nothing out ....... take what you can from this but in no way am I saying what have used here will work for you. This is the settings I used last for my run in the Overclocktigon and are NOT STABLE and should be considered EXTREAM for normal cooling.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-SuperPi-32M?p=7772798&viewfull=1#post7772798

There are a couple more subs in there you can check to see how they progressed if you feel like.

What I have turned off .....

View attachment 158700

Ram ...... http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_1239&item_id=063855
I am using EXT1 which is an AMP Profile.

View attachment 158701

My settings ......
notice the APU Frequency ...... raising this really helped with my scores.
Notice the NB Frequency ........ when left in Auto this was jumping all over the place from 1400 ish to 1800 is mhz. Hard setting this also helped get up off 4.5GHZ where I had been stuck.

View attachment 158702

Ram settings ...... nothing special.

View attachment 158703

Setting my Target TDP....... seemed to help. I have this set 100MHZ higher then I was using.

View attachment 158704

Voltages ...... on this board I only have Offset Voltage settings ....... pretty self explanatory.

View attachment 158705

Digi VRM ....... Load Line Calibrations.

View attachment 158706

Temp Monitoring ....... hard to say what to use as you can see below

View attachment 158707

Ran prime for a bit as expected had two workers drop off after 4 - 5 min ....... like I said this is not stable ...... notice the two differences in temp......like I said its hard to tell what to use for temp monitoring. I doubt the accuracy of temps in HWMonitor but then again someone else may have more info to share.

View attachment 158708

Once again ....... in no way am I saying what have used here will work for you. This is the settings I used last for my run in the Overclocktigon and are NOT STABLE and should be considered EXTREAM for normal cooling.

Lot of work man. Good show.
RGone...

Thanks RGone ...... hope it helps Fugu

I was getting pretty frustrated with this OC for a bit. Mind you I didn't build it to clock the Pee out of either. I have a second rad mounted now in the case that I have to plumb in ...... the parts came in last week but I just have not gotten around to yet. I do say though they are different to OC from the look of the BIOS which kinda reminds me 0f an Intel bios at least what I have seen of them looking at reviews for the 2011v3 boards.

Performance wise in some ways it is a fairly stout chip. I have not gamed with it yet but have run a couple of BLU-RAY through for a comparison against my FX8350 at the time. I figured there would be a huge difference in how it handles the work especially when I seen frame rates of less then 80 FPS compared to 120 or so FPS but in the end there was just a 3 min difference between the two. Not quite a a workhorse but a good quarter hoarse if you like.

A10 7850K ...... Stock settings .... 55 min

[11/15/14] BD Rebuilder v0.49.05 (beta)
[19:43:07] Source: X-MEN_DAYS_OF_FUTURE_PAST_00800
- Input BD size: 32.96 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:11:35.345]
- Target BD size: 22.95 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
- Decoding/Frame serving: X264/LAVF
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[19:43:07] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [19:43:07] Processing: VID_01952 (1 of 1)
- [19:43:07] Extracting A/V streams [VID_01952]
- [19:51:24] Reencoding video [VID_01952]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 189,299 frames
- Bitrate: 16,132 Kbs
- [19:51:24] Reencoding: VID_01952, Pass 1 of 1
- [20:45:56] Video Encode complete
- [20:45:56] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
- Track 4353 (eng): Keeping original audio
[20:45:56]PHASE ONE complete
[20:45:56]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [20:45:56] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[20:48:10] - Encode and Rebuild complete
- WORKFILES folder removed.
[20:48:10] JOB: X-MEN_DAYS_OF_FUTURE_PAST finished.

FX8350 ..... stock settings..... 53 min

[10/23/14] BD Rebuilder v0.49.05 (beta)
[07:22:45] Source: X-MEN_DAYS_OF_FUTURE_PAST_00800
- Input BD size: 32.96 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:11:35.345]
- Target BD size: 22.95 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
- Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
- SHUTDOWN at completion enabled
- Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow [3-way]
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[07:22:45] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [07:22:45] Processing: VID_01952 (1 of 1)
- [07:22:45] Extracting A/V streams [VID_01952]
- [07:26:39] Reencoding video [VID_01952]
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 189,299 frames
- Bitrate: 16,132 Kbs
- [07:26:39] Reencoding: VID_01952, Pass 1 of 1
- [08:08:11] Video Encode complete
- [08:08:11] Processing audio tracks
- Track 4352 (eng): Keeping original audio
- Track 4353 (eng): Keeping original audio
[08:08:11]PHASE ONE complete
[08:08:11]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [08:08:11] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[08:16:14] - Encode and Rebuild complete
- WORKFILES folder removed.
[08:16:14] JOB: X-MEN_DAYS_OF_FUTURE_PAST finished.

The Thermal Margin in the cpu section of AMD Overdrive is pretty useful for both the new Athlons and the apu's and FX cpu's when running Prime95.

Back