• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Finally!) Giving my dad my old computer. Various questions for you all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I've been planning this for about a year but my father never had enough money to pay for Internet, so, to solve the problem, I have offered to cover his internet costs indefinitely and he has agreed to take the computer.

Couple of issues:

1) It's in a destroyed case. I need a new ATX case in the $0-50 (Canadian) range. No need for USB3 or anything fancy. Doesn't even need good air flow. Must be attractive to a 60 year old man (no aggressive styling, etc)

2) All I have on there is Win XP 32 bit. I'd like to use my copy of Win 7 X64 on there but the system only has 2GB DDR2. Will Win 7 X64 run ok with 2GB? I doubt it...

What solution, other than linux, which I want to avoid since I've trained him in Windows, do you guys see to the OS dilemma? Win XP has no support. Win 7 does... but there's only 2GB of RAM.

The full system, for anyone interested, consists of

E6550 (stock)
Arctic Freezer 7 (I think) cooler
ASUS P5Q-E P45 mobo
2X1GB DDR2 1066 (Corsair)
250GB Western Digital HDD (from 2007... should I replace? Friends don't let friends [or parents] use really old HDD's...)
Geforce 8800GTS g92 (512MB)
Asus Xonar D2/PM (probably the most impressive piece of hardware in the whole machine)
Corsair TX750 PSU (can you say overkill? I know... But it was available so I used it)
Decrepit, dilapidated Antec Sonata 3 with the front ripped off and more scratches than my cat's scratching post

Obviously, being 2006/7/8 tech, this system doesn't have USB3, SATA 3, MSata, M.2, Sata Express, PCIE Gen 3, etc... but I hope it will get my father by.

Thanks in advance for any advice, particularly on the OS dilemma.

Thanks for responding so fast, ATM. I like the case suggestion. If I can find it at local stores I will jump on it (Don't want to get hosed @ $15 for shipping...).

I agree 8.1 (32 bit if possible) is the best choice. The problem here is that I don't own 8.1, in any form, and this is a "budget project". If I buy a copy of Windows that'll set me back a hundred bucks and this whole thing starts to get stupidly expensive.

Well, even with $15 shipping you're looking at $40 total. That's well within the $0-$50 range for a nice new case.

Win7 will run alright on 2GB, but I would look at Ubuntu.

Well, even with $15 shipping you're looking at $40 total. That's well within the $0-$50 range for a nice new case.

Win7 will run alright on 2GB, but I would look at Ubuntu.

Don't really want to put him on Linux. I'd rather cry a little and pay $100 for 8.1. Is 8.1 available in 32 bit? AFAIK the 32 bit OS will occupy less RAM when running than 64... isn't that so? Am I wrong?

Yes, you can run Win 7 64-bit just fine on 2 gb of ram. I've done it many times. It is actually pretty snappy. Unless you have a lot of stuff open at once you won't notice much difference than running it with 4 gb of ram or using the 32-bit version of the OS. The overhead for the 64-bit version of the OS is very small. It also helps if you add a video card with it's own memory.

Yes, you can run Win 7 64-bit just fine on 2 gb of ram. I've done it many times. It is actually pretty snappy. Unless you have a lot of stuff open at once you won't notice much difference than running it with 4 gb of ram or using the 32-bit version of the OS. The overhead for the 64-bit version of the OS is very small. It also helps if you add a video card with it's own memory.

But I mean is 2GB @ 64Bit Win 7 going to be enough for smooth 1080P video playback, smooth 1080P streaming playback, few tabs open in Chrome at once, maybe in addition to VLC media player? I don't want to have to tell my dad that he can only have 2 windows open at a time. He's a noob and that will confuse and frustrate him.

If you're semi willing to fork over a hundred bux for 8.1, then why not just buy more memory and slap win7 on it?

Back