• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

am2 'tabs' vs. conversion kit for am4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruiner

The 4 screw method is more secure, but has anyone quantified temperature differences, before and after, using the old am2 style tabs (that the am4 boards come with anyway) before converting to am4 HSF mounts?
I've got some old but good heatpipe sinks that won't get updated mounts but are much larger than the boxed Stealth and Spires.

I can, and probably will, but it would be nice to control for heatsink design. In my case I'd be comparing a yuge 1st gen Ninja to the lowly OEM Stealth, and on a r3 1200 that probably doesn't even need it anyway.
I was hoping that someone had run an aftermarket cooler on the AM2 brackets for a week or two until their conversion kit arrived for an apples-apples comparison.

Heh. I just noticed that the well-regarded OEM Prism uses the tabs. Question answered, at least for smallish non-tower coolers.

Many HSF manufacturers are using tab mount mechanisms for their AM4 compatible products. Effectiveness when deployed with a tall heavy cooler will likely depend on the stiffness of the spring lever used. I used this one on my wife's AM4 computer:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...pID=51CTKsf3kgL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It cools pretty well. It took a lot of grunt to get that clip secured.

Keep in mind also that the Ryzen CPUs generally don't run that hot and so you can generally get away with a modest cooling solution.

Back