• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3 matx motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I never said anything about "expensive high speed RAM". The fact is that RAM is dirt cheap right now and you can get a 8 GB of smokin fast RAM for $40. How much would you save by lowballing and buying <1600 8-8-8 RAM? $10? $10 for 6% better performance according to Tom's?? I'll take that 6% for $10 all day long Buddy. There is also the fact that many PC builders pay more for slower RAM to have a certain brand ,etc. when they could have gotten way better performance with lower costing RAM.

MM_SS_AIDA.jpg

$39/ 8GB SAMSUNG 30 nm RAM.

Last edited:
Coming back to the subject...

since we are on ram, Im facing this:

@bclk 140, ram 1866, aida64 memory benchmarks reads more than 10000mb/s.

@bclk 118, ram still 1866, same latency, aida64 memory benchmarks reads 9744mb/s.

Im confused, isnt the memory benchmark reading only memory speed/latency? if so, shouldnt the numbers be the same since in both scenarios, ram speed and latencies are the same?

Latency is the reaction speed when accessing the RAM and what you are referring to with the 10,000 mb/s 9744 mb/s figures is "throughput". Throughput is the amount of data that can actually be moved from the RAM to the CPU to be processed, and then the result returned to RAM in one second. There are many more factors involved and no, being the same "speed and latency" will not mean that two RAM setups will perform the same.

the thing is all the other factors are keep constant - cpu, igp, ram, voltage

only thing was bclk changed.

wait..unless bclk change the amount of throughput?

... I'll take that 6% for $10 all day long...

You missed the point, but the disussion is largely immaterial anyway.

One thing I've learned in my journey to overclocking my system (which I call 'optimizing') is it entails trading amongst mem speed (multiplier), FSB overclocks and processor multiplier to achieve a (relatively) superior level of application-level performance whilst not destroying useablity/stability. My point is one should not, for instance, trade processor speed to attain higher mem. speed.

The discussion is immaterial because while some people are looking to spec a system that gives absolute best benchmark performance when overclocked to a desired level, some people overclock just to optimize the application-level performance of the system they got.

Different goals entirely and the latter goal is largely overlooked in these discussions because, for instance, while those in the latter camp are loath to dump $29 dollar memory for $39 memory (a net $68 dollar cost, not $10) to obtain a small amount of additional benchmarked throughput those in the former camp indeed would in their rather limited scope effort to chase ultimate numbers.

Indeed, one should feel free to spend money in the amounts deemed affordable on the things that matter to them. So, for a person putting together a show-piece system, buying sexy looking 2400 memory, sporting flashy heat sinks color-keyed to the mobo, is as important a criteria as anything else. It's not my point to say don't do it... just do so with realistic expectations of outcome.

And then...as I read elsewhere in this forum...there are those who buy 20-30 processors to cherry-pick the most overclockable one. Wow... this can quickly become an infinitely regressive discussion so this will be my last post.

Last edited:
To answer OP's question,

My motherboard is pretty good mATX - m5A78L-M/USB3.

USB3 etc and 4+1 power phase unlike a lot of mATX.

It also supports OC ram up to 1866.

Hi DG,

Asus mobo site usually does not list the power phase / VRM, unlike Asrock.
How can we tell then?

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboard-vrm-info-database-now-with-socket-fm2

But also, if you look in the top right side of the motherboard between CPU and backplate USB/VGA etc you will see black squares - those are chokes. Count them, on my particular motherboard I count 5 and because 1 is for the memory controller and the other 4 or for the CPU its considered a 4+1.

Unfortunately the board you recommended, I cant get it here locally.

Rather than us make suggestions for a good motherboard and then you say you cannot get the thing; why don't you just tell us which boards you can get wherever you live and we can say Yes or No about it being a suggested board or not a suggested board. Save a lot of hassle and off topic.

Even people in countries that are limited in available parts and pieces have places they do buy from and they give links to their place of supply and then can see what 'they' can actually buy. Again saves a lot of chasing around.

hi Rgone,

I see your point there. I just thought its faster this way, coming from users who have owned the boards recommended.

What I do after the recommendation is take the model number and tally it against a couple of lists from retailers here to see if its available. Then I call em.

One of the boards recommended was actualyy on the avail list, but when I called the retailer to purchase it, it was out of stock and they were not going to bring it in anymore.

*Funny part was the guy answering the phone said y buy am3/+, its old and going to be discountinued very soon, amd has no more support for it:blah: and that i should get fm1 sockets cause it was the newest.

C what kind of retailers i have here....

Hence I rather just call em up, tell them the model I want, if they dont have it, I thank em and hang up.

....*Funny part was the guy answering the phone said y buy am3/+, its old and going to be discountinued very soon, amd has no more support for it:blah: and that i should get fm1 sockets cause it was the newest....

welll... AM3+ definitely isn't going away... but maybe on mATX form factor it is??

FM2 APU's are so much the better bargain for integrated graphics. The 880g AMD chipset was the latest/best available that I saw for AM3/+ and the GPU with it is as bad as Intel's. Still, knowing there's a terrific APU with an HD7660 GPU in it for only $129 doesn't help someone with a mATX case (and liking it) who's looking for a home for an FX processor.

I'd suggest checking out Amazon and E-Bay, but totally not sure you have access to that at Stark Industries either. ;)

Last edited:
welll... AM3+ definitely isn't going away... but maybe on mATX form factor it is??

FM2 APU's are so much the better bargain for integrated graphics. The 880g AMD chipset was the latest/best available that I saw for AM3/+ and the GPU with it is as bad as Intel's. Still, knowing there's a terrific APU with an HD7660 GPU in it for only $129 doesn't help someone with a mATX case (and liking it) who's looking for a home for an FX processor.

I'd suggest checking out Amazon and E-Bay, but totally not sure you have access to that at Stark Industries either. ;)

At Stark Industries, we are using the Jarvis platform;) Its does everything xcept it wun shut the hell up.

I lost you there for a while Buddy. Its not for FX nor using igp on it.
Its for X6 Thubans with 1 discrete gpu.
And yes, theres 2 APUs FM1 systems running here. Great IGP performance relative to others out there. Xcept the stock HSF wun shut the hell up either.
Both A6s clocked to 3.3, up from 2.1 and 2.7 respectively.

And thanks for coming back to the thread :thup:
Back to AM3/+

At Stark Industries, we are using the Jarvis platform;) Its does everything xcept it wun shut the hell up.

I lost you there for a while Buddy. Its not for FX nor using igp on it.
Its for X6 Thubans with 1 discrete gpu.
And yes, theres 2 APUs FM1 systems running here. Great IGP performance relative to others out there. Xcept the stock HSF wun shut the hell up either.
Both A6s clocked to 3.3, up from 2.1 and 2.7 respectively.

And thanks for coming back to the thread :thup:
Back to AM3/+

FX or x6 thubans, the situation is the same: you're looking for a good home for one in an mATX form factor... right?

My digression about IGP performance and uATX is meant to suggest there's little interest in board mfr's continuing to support it in AM3/+ sockets because FM2 (with, specifically, A10-series APU) is superior at both performance AND cost. The don't really seem to care about those of us who don't give a whit for the iGPU or cross-firing, but want a nice small board to build up into a nice, tight, high-performing, package.

So you appear to be faced with the prospect of finding one in the clearance bins....:-/

Last edited:
Back