• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ambient vs subambient - how much better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hifidelitygamin

Registered
Hello, first post on this board so bit of a mini intro. I'm researching for a future build (which may not happen for 12 months but almost certainly will happen within 24 months.. one holdback being waiting to see how nextgen techs pan out and such) and so I am exploring my options. Budgets DO matter, ie I want the best value for money, but so does performance... if I cant reach performance targets without spending twice as much, then I spend twice as much. But my performance targets can sometimes be a moving target, after playing I realize "I want more" and so i'm trying to plan out an upgrade path just to understand how much more can even be expected. (ie - if I want 20% more performance and have $800 to spend on cooling, is it even possible or generally no?)

I'm wanting to know what kind of rules of thumb are out there of how much faster one can expect to go using phase change methods than using high quality watercooling. For all uses - CPU, GPU and chipsets.

So here's what i'm thinking (and if there's some problem please point it out):

Step One: solid watercooling rig that essentially brings temperatures down to darn near ambient under load.

Step Two: subambient watercooling rig preferably using some form of antifreeze (I assume?) to get below freezing, some type of chiller used for the cooling loop.

Step Three: large peltier into waterblock type systems getting below common antifreeze points.

Step Four: phase change cooling systems

What % of improvement can one expect at each level? Ie - how much further does one tend to be able to take a CPU, or chipset, or graphics card with the different methods? In the jump from "solid air cooling" to "extreme phase change" has anyone ever achieved a 60% improvement or 40% or what exactly do the results tend to be? (it sounds like the ultimate limits are like liquid nitrogen hitting 8ghz on processors which is around a 60% improvement over the stoutest air reaching 5ghz for alot... i'm curious if the same has been attempted with video cards) I'm trying to figure out how much you spend at each step just to go from 20% to 30% to 40% for instance. Can phase change give me a 6ghz i7 or a 1.5ghz geforce 580? Can that be achieved with peltier or subambient water?

And is there a point where more cooling is overkill (ie chips limited by safe nonsuicidal voltages, or just inherent stability limits) or will cooling ALWAYS get a boost in performance?

For general information i'm only interested in 2-8hr runtimes (don't think a thermal sink could be big enough or 'temporary' solutions like liquid nitrogen - I don't need 24/7 running, just extended gaming sessions... i'd considered large water resoirvoirs filled with ice if I want to stretch the limit for a perhaps shorter gaming session though) and i'm not interested in destroying chips (dropping another $1000 to replace damaged hardware isn't my goal) or shortening lifespan to the 'weeks' level. Just pushing performance well past what's available with simpler systems.

Last edited:
Step one. Under $400 Baseline. Quiet.
Step two. On the cheap, your own old AC unit modded, $450. Maybe .3 GHZ more.
Step three. Not done anymore, or in a practical way.
Step four. $1000 ish for the good ones, lots more headroom. Not practical. LOUD, energy hog, and condensation/ice forming on the hoses. Not an expert at Phase cooling? You will burn up a mobo or 2 as you learn. And the $20 per 8 hour gaming session on electricity costs.

If your gaming it's the GPU's that matter a lot, not the CPU.

I'm a big watercooler, but my next CPU will be Ivy. I'll stay air cooling on it. No need for water. I'm also hoping the new GPUs are quiet enough to not need watercooling either.

IMHO, I don't se any performance gains worth $800 except if your going to run 3 top GPUs in SLI/Xfire and 3 monitors in surround on 3 27" screens and DEMAND top frame rates with quiet operation. Then you will want to overclock the CPU/GPU, and water is the only quiet energy efficient method for 24/7 use. And $800 would be enough most likely.

Last edited:
Quite personally I don't feel that anything beyond water is worthwhile for 24/7 use. You don't get that much more clock speed out of it and you have to worry about condensation killing parts and such.

Now for benching it's a totally different story of course.

Quite personally I don't feel that anything beyond water is worthwhile for 24/7 use. You don't get that much more clock speed out of it and you have to worry about condensation killing parts and such.

Now for benching it's a totally different story of course.

+1. :salute:

Thanks for the details Conumdrum. :) That's the kind of quickie info I was looking for. It's sounding like normal ambient watercooling may be the best just due to the condensation issues itself vs the performance boost not as much more as i'd want... instead of spending $800 for cooling, could just start with faster parts like i7-3960X or just wait for the ivy bridge or haswell or similar. It sounds like watercooling should be good enough... until the next models come out and then just upgrade instead of spending it all on ultracooling with phase just to match the performance at extreme electricity costs ahead of the curve.

GPU I was equally interested in cooling for the eventual games - but CPU I was more interested in because I want to run emulators that would like 6ghz if they could have it and do not thread to more than 2 cores. In some cases you just need a little more than aircooling can provide it seems to run some games at 60fps.

IMHO, I don't se any performance gains worth $800 except if your going to run 3 top GPUs in SLI/Xfire and 3 monitors in surround on 3 27" screens and DEMAND top frame rates with quiet operation. Then you will want to overclock the CPU/GPU, and water is the only quiet energy efficient method for 24/7 use. And $800 would be enough most likely.

Well... actually... :) That's not far off from what I want to run. It's mostly a question of how much is gained from the OC, and the hope that most if not all of the cooling investment could be applied to future cards that makes me seriously consider it. Ie buy once, and it goes with me to future cpu's and gpu's every time. I don't know whether I actually want to spend $800 on cooling, it's more I guessed that phase would likely cost that and I was curious whats out there and how much more it could actually get. Adding the cost of killing $400 mobos is not something i'm looking for though. It's frustrating to want 60fps and only get 45fps with stutters to 30fps. Sometimes 10% more performance solves some bottleneck and gives you full framerates, it's all just research in process so far.

Current plans are at least 2 way SLI starting with a pair of 480gtx preferably with a 260gtx for PhysX (later a 285gtx) which are notoriously hot as a placeholder til kepler comes out, and i'm seriously researching 3 way and 4 way (or 3 way plus PhysX still being 4 gpu's) options. I'm wanting to run 3D Surround which taxes the hell out of anything you run it on, even triple 580gtx will struggle on things like Metro 2033. I'd rather run that than straight 580's at the moment if it gets me a WC rig I can migrate. After Kepler is out for awhile and prices drop a bit i'd probably want to run 2-3 of those and move over the watercooling rig to that.

Back