• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maintemance on Swiftech H240

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

Hi
Have a Swiftech H240 water cooler.
https://www.amazon.com/Swiftech-H24...01AOF4KGK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Haven't done maintenance in probably 3 years now and noticing a 5% or so drop in the reservoir.
The cooling tubes are also developing lots of gunk.
My 2 questions are,
1) How long can I delay maintenance before my CPU performance starts to decline?
and
2) How do I accomplish this?( ie refill and clean) Never attempted before and seems like a major task!

1. No clue. But it's time to clean it!
2. Same way you would with a custom loop. You'll have to take it apart and clean the parts (vinegar and water). Refill with dead water.

I'd imagine swiftech has instructions too...

Here is what Swiftech Recommends.

1. In short, you've delayed long enough. Let's get it cleaned. LOL

2. Remove the cooler completely. Disassemble (pretty straight forward). Soak in Pine Sol and water (their method- I've always used vinegar and water). Rinse thoroughly and refill (see the link above).
Thanks
Have no idea what a test plug or short out pin are. Will have to watch a few YouTube videos. I assume this is to simply let your wc run without booting? Also unclear by the disassembly process. And never heard of Hydryx.

I assume this is to simply let your wc run without booting?
Correct!

I've never taken apart a Swiftech 'kit', but I'd imagine it's not much different than a custom loop. Remove all of the tubing and clean it.. take the pump apart and clean it, flush the rad really well.

Hydrx

Last edited:
I had one of the older style 240X Swiftech with their clear liquid. It looks to be about the same but with a different reservoir style. I probably ran that thing 2 years before cleaning it, maybe more. Not that I would recommend that but it handled it fine. If you have color fluid in it then it would far less time though.

To clean it I drained it, took the pump off to clean it out, reassembled then ran Mayhems cleaner system through it per the instructions. After that I refilled it with Mayhems clear and used it as normal. Overall it was pretty clean but did get a water line on the window of the reservoir that never came off. Other than that it seemed pretty clean and the fluid was still clear. No cloudy or chunky fluid at all and no funky bits came out. I will add that getting all the air out of the system was a huge pain in the ***. Every time I thought I got it all another bubble would show up. I've had less trouble with my multi-radiator setups than that little 240.

It's been a while, but........If you have a small bucket that will contain a radiator, fill the bucket with distilled water, put your rad into it and turn, shake, spin, and otherwise give your bubbles every chance to float out of the rad. It generally works better than putting your gear back together and then disassembling for a bubble. Doesn't take very long, just be sure that you seal the ports before taking it out of the bucket. Works for any rad part.

Back