• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 1090t BE overclocking past 3800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pomop

Registered
I have an AMD 6 core 1090t BE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849) and I have a question. When running 6 cores, I can't seem to be stable running at over 3.8 ghz. At 4 cores I can get it to 4 ghz stable. Any higher and I will get crashes. Even after increasing voltages, I can't seem to raise it any higher.

My current OC settings are: 4 cores / 6 cores setting
Taken from CPU-Z
Core: 4000 / 3800 +- 15
Multiplier: 20 / 18
FSB: 200 / 212
HT Link: 2000
NB Frequency 2800 / 2900ish (FSB increase)

DRAM 669 6-8-8-15-15 1T

If there's any other info you need, please let me know. I want moar power. :shock:

My mobo is Asus m4a79t deluxe and I have updated the bios, so it does support this processor. (If it matters at all in this discussion)

Vcore (I believe) is at 1.45 atm, but I've taken it up to 1.625 and still couldn't overclock higher. NB is at 1.2 (can't get higher even with more voltage) and DDR is at 1.64

Those are the only voltages I've changed

That same CPU on an 890FX chipset board would probably do the 4.0Ghz much much easier. 790 boards just were not as neat for the later cpu. Over the last 5 or 6 years it has been very much a pattern that the later chipset and cpu made a much better marriage overall.

That same CPU on an 890FX chipset board would probably do the 4.0Ghz much much easier. 790 boards just were not as neat for the later cpu. Over the last 5 or 6 years it has been very much a pattern that the later chipset and cpu made a much better marriage overall.

Alright, well been thinking of upgrading mobo later, but not soon. (Money issues) I have Thermal Paste on my CPU to heatsink and I've heard that it's impossible to remove. Is it still possible to change mobos with the same processor and heatsink?

@someinter~~~ It just goes... weird. Like horizontal black white etc colored lines on the screen and it restarts. I will open up about 7 or 8 programs at boot for the initial test (Usually works after a second or two), prime95, Furmark and AMD Overdrive testing. Not all at the same time.

I know Furmark is a GPU tester, but it seems to crash my computer a hell of a lot sooner than Prime95 does. (GPU is at stock, not overclocked when testing stability of CPU)

Oh wow, can't believe I forgot to mention this. I'm running with Spire TherMax Eclipse II as the heatsink. Roughly every volt increase past 1 is 1c increase. (1.45v is 45c max load, 1.55, 55c max load.)

Alright, well been thinking of upgrading mobo later, but not soon. (Money issues) I have Thermal Paste on my CPU to heatsink and I've heard that it's impossible to remove. Is it still possible to change mobos with the same processor and heatsink?

When was it never possible? I don't mean to sound like a jerk. . . but I don't recall when this was never possible. All you have to do is make sure to apply paste again and tht your new board is compatiable with your chip/HS.

Also if you are looking to upgrade to a newer MOBO I would suggest 990 series as boards are compatible with the current generation chips (1090T) while still providing AM3+ options.

When was it never possible? I don't mean to sound like a jerk. . . but I don't recall when this was never possible. All you have to do is make sure to apply paste again and tht your new board is compatiable with your chip/HS.

Also if you are looking to upgrade to a newer MOBO I would suggest 990 series as boards are compatible with the current generation chips (1090T) while still providing AM3+ options.

Well I've heard that when using thermal paste that it was permanent, and that thermal paste is pretty much glue. I could be wrong, it is what I've heard others say. Not my own experience. :p

Thanks for the mobo recommendation btw

Your CPU-NB is way to high first off. The higher does not always mean the better. Your CPU has to first catch up with the memroy speeds.

Second, make sure you are doing all this in your BIOS, you should not be OCing in your OS.

Third, The 1090T should have the HTT and CPU-NB at the same speeds. I would recommend keeping both at 2400, with the CPU-NBv at 1.24v, and the HTT at 1.22v. Keep pushing the CPU multi, and do not touch the HT.

Your CPU-NB is way to high first off. The higher does not always mean the better. Your CPU has to first catch up with the memroy speeds.

Second, make sure you are doing all this in your BIOS, you should not be OCing in your OS.

Third, The 1090T should have the HTT and CPU-NB at the same speeds. I would recommend keeping both at 2400, with the CPU-NBv at 1.24v, and the HTT at 1.22v. Keep pushing the CPU multi, and do not touch the HT.

I only OC in the BIOS aside from trying to get 1 or 2 more MHZ to see if it's stable. I'll be changing the clocks when I head home later. Thanks for the reply. :D

Alright, so I'm home and I still can't push it. I have the FSB at 200, brought down the NB to 2000 to match the HT Link. I can run Prime95 for an undetermined amount of time (1+ hours) at 18x multi, but at 18.5 I can run prime, but once I run MSI Kombuster, it crashes. (Graphics aren't overclocked). At 19 it crashes when booting windows.

It was stated above that my mobo could be the bottleneck, is it true, or am I just missing something? :(

It was stated above that my mobo could be the bottleneck, is it true, or am I just missing something? :(

Absolutely, the motherboard is the biggest controllable factor for high overclocks. Since for most cpus overclock-ability it unique to each chip.

Squirly, how is this not right? For the countless amount of testing I have done with the Thuban, it has shown that the HTT and the CPU-NB, if kept at the same frequency, will create a much higher chance of a stable system while OCing. To prove the point, I have a 1075T in my main rig, with the CPU-NB and HTT at ~2400MHz, with hardly a voltage bump on them, and the OC is 100% working. CPU is OCed to ~3.7ghz.

Now, I did not say keep the HTT and the CPU-NB at 2000, I said keep it at 2400.

Here is what your BIOS should look like:

CPU Multi: x19 or higher
HT Frequency: 200
HTT Frequency: 2400
CPU-NB Frequency: 2400
PCI-E Frequency: 110

CPUv: 1.45v
CPU-NBv: 1.24v
HTTv: 1.22v
CPU PLL \ CPU VDDA: 2.5
CPU Spread Spectrum: DISABLED
PCIE Spread Spectrum: DISABLED

Now, these settings will work perfectly with a 800 series Chipset. On a 700 series chipset, it will require some more fine tunning.

Well the max my mobo will let me set the HTT is 2200 before it goes back to Auto. True about the overclock though, I'll keep that in mind when I get my new mobo. But atm it's like a hard block of overclocking on my m4a79t deluxe. :p

Yeah than Pomop its the combination of outdated OS and Chipset with the new Thuban.

Thanks for the help everyone. So I'll be getting my new mobo at the end of next month when I get paid, and have narrowed it between the Crosshair V and the Sabertooth.
(Crosshair) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

(Sabertooth) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736

For 40 dollars extra, is there any reason to get the Crosshair over Sabertooth when I have a sound card and lan card?

edit - my current memory is not on either mobos compatibility list, so it's not going to matter.

The Sabertooth is just as good as the CH V but has a bit less features. The only reason people should be buying the CH V is if they intend to do 4 way SLI or XFire, or they do extreme OCing. Other than that, the Sabertooh is up to par for whatever you throw at it.

As for Memory I like to go with Gskill these days.

Back