• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 5900X- safe voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

I'm running a newly installed 5900x on an MSI X570 MEG UNIFY all under open-loop water.

While i'm getting great performance (boosts to 4.95), I've been watching the vcore sit at around 1.45 while I'm gaming the whole time. It goes below 1.0v once I close out of games or benchmarks.
Is this safe? Should I be configuring the voltage manually?

This is my first AMD machine in a decade, so I'm all ears!
specs in the signature.

Thank you

It's fine. My 5900X on ASUS mobo runs between 1.05V and 1.51V and depends on the core, boosts up to 4.85-5.10GHz. New Ryzens are designed to run at wider range of voltages and clocks than the last series.
I will move to X570 Unify when I finish some tests on ASUS as I have to rerun 4x32GB kit and both my ASUS mobos have 2 memory slots.

Thanks M8.
Were you able to get your DDR4 to run 4000 1:1:1?

The best I can do is 3800 so far. I'm not sure which voltages I should be touching to get my DDR timings tightened up.
I have Samsung B-DIE which was running 3800 CL15 but this chip won't post at CL15, only 16.

Thanks again!

Disable gear down mode in memory options and it will run at CL15. Btw. B-die will probably run at CL14 but I noticed that with 16/32GB modules and lower CL it sometimes acts a bit weird at DDR4-3800 so you have to try it on your own.
I've tested 3 CPUs so far, all of them couldn't even boot above 3800 1:1. All was stable at 3800 1:1 with 2x8GB sticks and 2x16GB Samsung B. There was a problem at higher capacity or with 4 memory sticks. I guess that current BIOS is not the best. There was already one update which was helping in memory clock but most others were "only" fixing instability. Some motherboards had 4-5 BIOS updates since Ryzen 5000 release.
If you had single rank sticks then I would tell to try 1:2 mode and high clock as Ryzen 5000 has much lower latency than Ryzen 3000. However, it won't work at high enough clock on Samsung B 2x16GB kit to be worth it.

I'm new to OC on Ryzen, but looks to me that trading boost for 47x at all times is just not worth the hassle.... even though synthetics trick me into thinking it's a better performing system, I'm guessing stock 5900x is the way to go... thoughts?

I'm new to OC on Ryzen, but looks to me that trading boost for 47x at all times is just not worth the hassle.... even though synthetics trick me into thinking it's a better performing system, I'm guessing stock 5900x is the way to go... thoughts?

That would really depend on your usage. You can start a thread if this is something you want to discuss

Back