• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 6100 OC problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jasin39

Here Is a basic run down of situation. I have the following build,

AMD BOX AMD FX-6100 BLACK ED
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AT
KINGSTON KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX DDR x2
LGELECOEM LG 22X SATA DVDRW
GIGABYTE HD6870 1GB D5 OC PCIE
PCPOWER SILENCER 760W ATX PSU
LOGITECH MK320 WRLS OPT KEYBD+mouse
COOLMAST HYPER N520 UNV CPU HS
Lanboy Air Blue ATX Modular Mid Tower Computer Case

When I overclock I adjusted the cpu clock ratio to 21.0
I disable turbo boost and Core Performance boost
Everything else, I leave at auto.
When win7 boots , I show 4.2 gigaherz. Everything is fine ! I encode some video with hand brake to max out cpu load
to 100 % on all six cores and according to coretemp I never go above 40c. I played battlefield 3 for over an hour
without a single hiccup.

This is where it ends.

If I turn the multiplier up anymore, my machine gets to the windows logo and then BSOD.

" a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor withing allotted time interval"
at end of message is "stop 0x00000101"

The ony way to boot back into windows is to go into bios and load optimized defaults.

should I up the voltage anywhere else ? Ive never messed with northbridge voltage before. My case has 6 fans and with all of them on low
I dont go above 40c @ 4.2 gigaherz. So i was hoping with fans on high I may be able to go 4.4. or 4.5 but
I keep gettng BSOD as mentioned above.

At 4.2GH and under load you can put hand behind tower/case and the air coming out is barely warm and case is in wide open area.
Its not in a desk or any other constricted area.

Any advice you can lend is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the litany

attached are some screen shots. One is of my bios settings under the MIT section. It was a picture of settings that got bsod upon boot

Attachments

• IMG063.jpg
    IMG063.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG065.jpg
    IMG065.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 428
  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 203
You may need to up your Vcore, I don't see you stating that you adjusted that any. When I was running 4.2Ghz I think I had my core voltage somewhere around 1.32V. Perhaps give us some screen shots of HWMonitor and CPU-Z showing the current voltage you are running.

Sounds like you need more vcore (CPU core voltage) if you're still on stock. You didn't mention doing that as LoganG said so I assume you're running on stock vcore. It's the first thing you should start supplementing when you start increasing the speed of the CPU.

Take "System Voltage Control" off "Auto" and the CPU core voltage should then be accessible for manual adjustment. Increase to to the smallest increment above stock to start with and then add more if necessary.

Always check core temps after raising this as they will begin to rise with vcore increases.

Have you done any actual stress testing (say with Prime95 blend test) to check for stability of your overclock? Just because it will boot into Windows by no means suggests its anywhere truly stable.

You should download and install "HWMonitor" and "Prime95". Keep HWMonitor open on the desktop while you run Prime95 blend for 20 minutes to check for temps and stability. IF you get BSOD or if any of the Prime95 core worker windows shows that a core quit on you its not yet stable. Don't let the core temps in HWmonitor exceed 55C. Do this after every increase on CPU speed and vcore. When your core temps are hitting mid 50s C. stop increasing the overclock and run a Prime95 test of at least 2 hr. If you fail the test, lower your CPU multiplier by .5x and retest for 2+ hrs. The 20 minute tests are short enough to insure that if you pass them you are close to being stable but they are only tentative. Yet the 20 minute tests are short enough to make the overclocking process reasonably time efficient in the preliminary stages.

Thank you guys for the advice and it worked ! I upped the cpu voltage by .025 volts for a total of 1.325
And I upped CPU PLL to 2.055 (upped by 0.25)

Set multiplier to 21.5 and bus speed to 205 now I get 4.38 and it is stable. I encoded more video and watched the
temps through core temp. They again didnt get above 40c.

I will install prime95 later and see what that does in terms of stablity
I have been using AMD's overdrive utility to test stability as well. It too has a
processor stress test and the software of course came free.

I will do some long term testing later. But as of now it is stable without BSOD.
Again, thanks. I will probably leave it around 4.3 GigaHerz. That is one full gigaherz higher than factory and it is air cooled.

Im happy for now.:bday:

Back