• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8120 and AsusM5a97 and overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have that same motherboard and it does have a nice big heat sink on the VRM. It would really benefit from a spot fan or two in that area as has been said.

Thanks everyone this has all been really helpful. I figured at min I might be able to squeeze 4.3ghz as I'd seen some people with same mobo get that. Guess this might just be a prime example of not all hardware is created equal. So till I can get the heat under control or until o decide to upgrade this systems cpu do you think I should revert to stock clocks? Or do you think it might be possible to get a little more out of the cpu maybe to a 4.0ghz at least?
You may not have to go back to stock clocks, see what you can get out of it and keep the Cpu socket temp in the low 60's and also be able to pass at least 2 hours of prime blend.

Yea I just reverted all bios settings to default and tried a prime for maybe 10-15 mins and got no instant freezing and no stopped tests. So I went back to bios and cranked the clock up a little running prime now again for little over 5 mins and temp looks good and no failed tests. Knlw it will take more prime testing that this to make sure I'm 100% stable but its a huge improvement over the instant freezez or the failed tests at nearly start. Could of my memory be a factor? I have 1866 speed ram but I remember now every time I load defaults my mobo sets it to 1333 speed. To get my ram up to speed as it previously was I had to make bios changes. Now the prime I'm running now has the ram set at 1333 speed default settings my mobo sets them too and seems much more stable.

Sometimes on the Fx chips running the ram above 1600 Mhz will need a bump in Cpu Nb Voltage. If you want to set it to 1866 and then test with prime best bet is to do it now. That way if you're at stock clocks and it's failing prime, it is most likely the issue. My 8350 needs 1.3875 Cpu Nb voltage to run at 1866 stable, this will vary from chip to chip and also motherboard to motherboard.

Any FX CPU should be able to do the RAM at 1866 without straining. When you had the RAM at 1866 were you using the XMP timing option? If not you should. That will make sure the timings are correct for that frequency. It can also help to bump the RAM voltage up a bit, even when the RAM is running stock frequencies and timings. So if stock voltage is 1.5 try 1.55. And as Manny said, bumping up the CPU/NB voltage can also help a bit since that component has to do with the integrated memory controller.

Any FX CPU should be able to do the RAM at 1866 without straining. When you had the RAM at 1866 were you using the XMP timing option? If not you should. That will make sure the timings are correct for that frequency. It can also help to bump the RAM voltage up a bit, even when the RAM is running stock frequencies and timings. So if stock voltage is 1.5 try 1.55. And as Manny said, bumping up the CPU/NB voltage can also help a bit since that component has to do with the integrated memory controller.

My board don't have an XMP setting but a DOCP, is this like the same thing?

Back