• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8120-FX 8 Core Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Whoppah

Registered
Alright So these are my temps after a 100 load for 30 mins, I have a stock heat sink for the CPU and a RAIDMAX Blackstorm ATX-615 Case.

Can someone let me know if these temps are alright or not?

Attachments

• Temps.jpg
    Temps.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 224
For an AMD CPU on stock settings that looks about right. What are you using to stress test? Prime 95? Also would be helpful if you show a CPUZ screenshot.

Must be a noisy system. The CPU fan is 3500ish? For the price you spent on the system, spend another $40 and get a better CPU cooler such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO.

For an AMD CPU on stock settings that looks about right. What are you using to stress test? Prime 95? Also would be helpful if you show a CPUZ screenshot.

Must be a noisy system. The CPU fan is 3500ish? For the price you spent on the system, spend another $40 and get a better CPU cooler such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO.

I was just rendered a video with premier for my youtube channel, and it took roughly 30 mins but all 8 cores were pushed to 100% load.

What exactly is CPUZ?

Also would that fit in my case? The case clearance is about 8 inches

They Hyper 212+ or Evo is pretty case friendly. It should fit but I don't have your case so can't say for sure.

CPUZ, along with HWMonitor/Coretemp, and Prime 95 is the 3 essential tools for an OCer or non-OCer for that matter. CPUZ tells you a lot of info on current CPU and memory settings. Prime 95 is still used to stress/torture test a system. When building and/or OCing a system I'll run Prime 95 for 8 hours. If it did not crash after that time, I consider the system to be stable. Some folks think 8 hours is overkill as they say 2 is enough while others say 24 hours is needed.

edit - GPUZ is CPUZ counterpart for GPUs.

Your case is 8" wide so it should have clearance for any of the tower style coolers with 120mm fans, including the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ evo mentioned above. I would definitely get a good aftermarket cooler with an 8 core CPU.

^^^ Yes. If you click on the details tab you'll see that it support AM3+. Which makes sense as all AMD CPU from AM2 to AM3+ uses the same physical 938pin socket.

Haven't used that HSF so can't speak for it's quality. But IMO, I'd stick with the Hyper 212+ or EVO which is known to be great value or go high end if I want to upgrade. Middle of the road HSF is so so with me.

Example of high end: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Another thing, the box labels don't seem to say AM3+ on it.. I have a Gigabyte 990x mother board with 8120 processor, so its a AM3+

Will all the older models including this one fit?

I absolutely assure you that heat-sink will mount right up. It says it will fit AM3+ in the product spec's. Even if that's a typo, it says it fits AM2, AM2+, and AM3 on the box. All of those are the same. If it comes with the 2 plates with 3 mounting holes, that mounting hardware will allow you to mount it on something as old as a socket 939, maybe older. (I got into the hobby around when socket 939 launched. I'm not sure of anything before that.)

^^^ Yes. If you click on the details tab you'll see that it support AM3+. Which makes sense as all AMD CPU from AM2 to AM3+ uses the same physical 938pin socket.

Haven't used that HSF so can't speak for it's quality. But IMO, I'd stick with the Hyper 212+ or EVO which is known to be great value or go high end if I want to upgrade. Middle of the road HSF is so so with me.

Example of high end: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

The 212 is a good cooler.

If he plans to "maybe" overclock one day, then it might be worth looking up a few articles for a comparison between the 212 and X6.

Back