• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd 8120 oc help and advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

misfit211

Ok guys my first time posting in this forum so take it easy on me :)

I am not new to overclocking but It has been a few years since I have had a pc that I wanted to overclock.
First here is my setup:
AMD 8120 FX (lapped cpu)
Ati 7970
Asus m5a97
Corsair 650 power supply
16gb Corsair vengeance
Antec 620 h20 water cooler push pull setup
I have an nxzt phantom full tower case:
Fans:
140mm Intake front
Top 2 200mm exhaust
side 2 120mm intake
side 200mm intake
all fans are nzxt performance fans (besides the antec one on cpu cooler as pull fan)

I am currently running my 8120 at 4.2 with a vcore of 1.3 at idle and 1.4 durring prime. My idle temps are 14 c core at idle and 31 socket at idle. After a half hour of prime my vcore with llc enabled stable right at 1.4 I reach core max temp right at 45c and socket 72c.
I have followed the overclock guide at got my vcore set as low as I can and be stable. During gaming My socket temps never even reach 50c.
What I am wondering is at these temps should I push anymore or just be happy with 4.2ghz.

BTW I just ran linx for 30 minutes until core temps leveled out at 54C. tHanks.

Those core temps are already at the commonly preached max core temp threshold for stability of 55c so it would not appear that you have much or any room to increase the core voltage for more overclock.

^+1
But, Linx produces a lot of heat.

As soon as you don't go over 55°C in Prime95, you're good to go.

Ok I will run prime see what I get now and go until I max out at 55. I am really happy with my core temps after lapping CPU. Dropped about 6 degrees

This is what my numbers went to after about 45 minutes on prime. note my min values were recorded after 5 minutes. i am accepting any recomendations :) Volts are whatever. Thanks.

Attachments

• hardware.jpg
    hardware.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 59
We have no idea what your volts or any other bios settings are. It would be very helpful if you would run CPU-z and post pics of these tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will give us a lot of info in snapshot form.

Also, if you could create a "Sig" with your system info in it that would also be helpful, especially as the thread gets longer and the info in your original post gets separated in distance from the current posting. You an look at mine if you want for a pattern of what we like to know. To create a sig just click on Quick Links at the top of the page and click on Edit Signature.

Back