• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD A-Series (FM1 socket) ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

LoL, now i will sound like an total idiot to ask this.

What are A series CPU from AMD ?? When did they released it , i didn't know of them till now lol !

What are they target for actually ? I saw online the strongest one (forgot model) its only selling for around 100+ USD.

Rather cheap for a CPU. It also state that its best used for doing CrossFire ?

The "A" Series is what we call an "APU" for "Advanced Processing Unit". The deal is it has the GPU built into the CPU rather than being a chip on the motherboard. So with the "A" series there is not on-board video. It became on-CPU video. And it is a pretty vigorous video solution compared to the traditional on-board video. Not up to hard core gaming but definitely stronger than the old on-board video arrangement.

I can't speak to the crosshair question in regard to the "A" series.

If you are a hard core gamer you still want to go with a potent discrete video card when computing with the "A" series. It's geared to the average consumer, not the PC enthusiast. They now have some black edition APUs with unlocked multipliers that overclock quite well.

I see. But its not so popular. I thought its some sort of cheap CPU lol.

Would you say this is more of a success compare to their FX series ?

Speaking of FX series they seem to be launching a few more new models of FX series , hmmm i wonder is it any better compare to the old ones. But i think it wont ?? Since its still the FX series = /

The AMD APUs are a great bargain. Lots of bang for the buck! In that sense they are definitely more of a success than the FX series. I would not buy an FX at this point in time because the new Pile Driver series is coming out supposedly toward the end of October and we need to see if it delivers better than the FX CPUs. I think there is also an socket FM2 debuting before longer for a new line of APUs so I would hang on. On the other hand, when Pile Driver comes out, you may see prices drop on the current FX CPUs that make them pretty attractive.

Their APU series was a great success in the low end market, the integrated GPU is significantly more powerful than the Intel integrated GPUs. You can also Hybrid Crossfire the integrated GPU with a low end GPU and get midrange GPU performance. I have the most powerful APU (3870K) in Hybrid Crossfire with a 6670 and it gets 6770 like performance, not bad for a $450 machine. Can play games on mid settings 1080P at 25-30FPS.

The "A" Series is what we call an "APU" for "Advanced Processing Unit".

APU actually stands for Accelerated Processing Unit.

Their APU series was a great success in the low end market, the integrated GPU is significantly more powerful than the Intel integrated GPUs. You can also Hybrid Crossfire the integrated GPU with a low end GPU and get midrange GPU performance. I have the most powerful APU (3870K) in Hybrid Crossfire with a 6670 and it gets 6770 like performance, not bad for a $450 machine. Can play games on mid settings 1080P at 25-30FPS.

Hybrid crossfire is when you pair up a low end GPU with onboard graphics. APU + GPU is dual graphics, GPU + GPU is crossfire. Sorry to sound nitpicky here but all 3 of them use a quite different systems of doing something similar.

Anyway the A series are great budget chips. I have the 3870K + 6670 combo in my wife's system and she plays quite a few GPU intensive games @ 1080P on pretty good settings. Leaving the antialiasing off nets the biggest improvement in FPS on these guys. She is currently playing GW2 on mixed high/medium settings and gets a solid 30-40 FPS @ 1080.

lol , sadly i already made a deposit for my upcoming build.

But its all fine i guess its only i dislike INTEL lol , but i guess their IVY Bridge can get the job done very well along with a Sapphire HD 7870 ( got a great offer shop selling it here for less than 300 bucks ! )

Back