• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD A6-6400K overkill for HTPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hi all,

I'm upgrading my current HTPC and am looking at the AMD APU series. The only thing I will be doing is light browsing on the internet and watching 1080p movies. I've read with the new APUs I would no longer need my graphics card but what level CPU would I need?

Tiger direct has the AMD A6-6400K for $59 which I thought was pretty good. Plus, would the motherboard make a pretty big difference with the performance of the CPU? I've heard to stay away from the A55 boards.

Thanks for your help.

I've been playing with htpc and have found that it take less than you think, a $100 gpu is all it looks like you will ever need. a big storage hdd seems to be a plus and also a case and board with no lights.

I've been playing with htpc and have found that it take less than you think, a $100 gpu is all it looks like you will ever need. a big storage hdd seems to be a plus and also a case and board with no lights.
hi caddi daddi! Why would he need to add a gpu?

GM- If all you're doing is browsing and watching 1080p, not much of a difference across motherboards. I have one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157462 but the asus is a better chipset and cheaper.

I had a $35 sandybridge celeron g530 in my htpc just using the integrated video... It handled 1080p just fine and everything else I threw at it. Only decided to put a real GPU in when I wanted to start gaming on it.

With that in mind, I'd think any APU would be just fine.

What is wrong with the a55 motherboards?
Other than being horrid overclockers (not relevant for OP), a number of users have reported miscellaneous stability issues as well as problems when migrating to win8. I figure with the prices for the nicer chipsets being just a few $ more than a55 ones, best to just avoid them.

Other than being horrid overclockers (not relevant for OP), a number of users have reported miscellaneous stability issues as well as problems when migrating to win8. I figure with the prices for the nicer chipsets being just a few $ more than a55 ones, best to just avoid them.

Ahhh ok, I have an A55 chipset motherboard in my HTPC, I don't overclock it, and have Windows 8.1 on it and haven't seen issues with it yet. I only got it because it was free with the CPU purchase.

Thanks for the input.

Funsoul: That was the mobo I have been looking at. Is the onboard RAID decent or should I look to get a separate card for RAID?

Yvw!

It's a great little mobo (iirc...it's one of the most recommended for htpc builds). The on-board raid is fine (I ran mine with 2 ssds). Not the best fm2 overclocker but that's not really in-scope for your build anyway (that said...if you do want to oc, it's got plenty there for you).

APUs use the motherboard RAM for their iGPU.
My feeling is 4 GB is minimal (1-2 GB for iGPU, remainder for CPU). More and faster is better, though it does depend on what you expect from your build.

For internet and 1080p movies with win7x64 you might squeek by with 1x2gig but I'd go 2x2 1600

hi guys!
a friend of mine got this setup 6400k+Asus F2A55+8gb kingston 1600mhz+660gtx and the problem is processor heating up, alot. and the tempature is over 60 at idle. do you know solution for this. ill get the machine here tomorrow and ill appreciate if you can help me with this.

hi guys!
a friend of mine got this setup 6400k+Asus F2A55+8gb kingston 1600mhz+660gtx and the problem is processor heating up, alot. and the tempature is over 60 at idle. do you know solution for this. ill get the machine here tomorrow and ill appreciate if you can help me with this.

Your best bet is to start a thread of your own and use AMD software to check temps. AFIK it's the only one still that gets it right.

Remove the heatsink and make sure there's no plastic in between the heatsink and cpu...should be metal on metal (with some thermal paste). Can also check that the heatsink's properly seated/mounted and tightly secured.

Back