• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ versus Intel P4 640 Prescott

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I believe I'll bow out. He won't hear anything from me he won't hear from others in the AMD processor vs Intel processor thing.

Each have their merits. My CPU preference swings either way depending on what gives me what I want for the least amount of money when I'm buying. I'm loyal to neither company. I do believe AMD has the edge at the moment though. In the past all they could offer was a price advantage.

TekeTorvo said:
You need to re-read the first page. I counted 6 times, before I got halfway down the page. Then I stopped counting. I was just following the conversation.

sorry for nitpicking. i guess i should have read closer. but now that i have, others were saying that for what he does, waiting for a dualcore might be an idea. these type of comments are slightly OT, but still in line with the general vibe of the thread. posting benches of intel duallies vs amd duallies will just derail the thread, imo. kinda like my post did!

in any case, it looks like might not be coming back, so meh!

again, sorry for nitpicking :)

mjw21a said:
Is cool man. Nothing worries me too much.... ;o)

doh....i meant to include you in my previous (apologetic) post as well. hah, i didn't want you to feel like i was straight up telling what you can and cannot say round here. anyhow, keep on keeping on :attn:

sphfaros Post #17 said:
Thank you everyone for all the prompt responses. I'm tending to lean a little more towards AMD due to the fact that I have never tried an AMD system and the word across the internet is that at the moment AMD has an edge, but that's not to say that Intel was always crap.

Either way the reason I'm upgrading is because my brother needs a new computer and hey, better pass along my old one to him (P4 2.8GHz - not that old!) and get myself something fresh. I'm currently running a GeForce 6800 AGP for my graphics card and I don't really feel like spending another $400 just to upgrade to PCI-e (unless you guys think it's completely worth it). Due to this I'm looking at going with this motherboard...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131510

What do you think?

Seems the new member got what he needed and made his mind up. Seems like the newest members make the best topics sometimes.

High end Intel, high end AMD, can you really go wrong? It's all gonna come down to what the computer is used for. Without reading through all the posts i'll assume that was discussed. I myself being a bencher/gamer will take an AMD, but if i wasn't into that, my vote would go for Intel.

Back