• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD B55 3.8ghz upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

OK guys,

Im still on the fence on upgrading but im not sure if my CPU and MOBO are a bottleneck for my GTI 550 ti's in SLI

Is it worth just getting 990FX mobo from my phenom 555 i think with better ram and that board I can try and hit 4.0ghz but not sure.

I know my current mobo is an Nforce 7 series

The move from DDR2 to DDR3 did improve my 965 but I doubt you're being bottle necked

I do have ddr3 and its mixed ram but 1333mhz but I put it down to 833 to overclock

That is something you could replace. Get a decent kit of ddr3 1600 for around $80 or less

well it turns out all the random memory I do have is DDR 1600 and 2 DDR 1333.....But just upgrading that do you think its worth it.

I was thinking of upgrading my motherboard along with my memory and down the line getting a cpu but for what its worth getting that asrock 990fx board I saw on sale for $134

I'm still see no difference with my video cards running in sli or not.

Ok, so your premise is that you see no difference running SLI vs 1 card, and you feel the system is holding back your GPUs?

Can you please explain what "see no difference" means to you? (what testing have you performed?)
what games or programs are you testing in?

Last edited:
In battlefield 3 and 4 running everything on high my FPS would not increase in sli. In fact I remember it running less smooth like the issue with Farcry 3 wiith SLI setups as if it was Frame skipping.

I know other games that were optimized for sli also did see a difference Many source games, GTA, War Thunder, World of warcraft....THe list goes on... i did the test months and months ago but i didn't run benchmarks like 3dmark...But I asure you my AVG fps was the same.

I will report back today after running some test so you can see.

Last edited:
I will assume this was @ 1080p since you didn't state otherwise.

Here is the easy baseline test for what I would consider a "bottleneck"
Ensure v-sync is off
load up a taxing single player game
Max out all setting
see what your GPU utilization is across both cards

If it's less than 90% than I would consider that a bottleneck.

After that, you can get more specialized for your preferences and repeat the same test running games you play most.

The reality of the situation is, everyone's rig has some form of bottleneck and what is bottlenecking will change depending on what you are running.

After running only two bench marks yesterday at 3.9 ghz and also playing some rounds of Insurgency. I found that one card gave me smoother gameplay.

In Insurgency my AVG fps when a firefight happened was 50-60 FPS at high settings
When I used it in SLI it droped to around 40-45 FPS and it wasnt smooth for me.

I ran 2 benchmark test in ARMA3 with custom Benchmark Scenarios and the scores are

Single Card 55 FPS

SLI 44 FPS

I want to run more test but I think that kinda of tells me something is up. I know the source games should be good in sli as far as other benchmarks go.

I was also thinking you know what its time to upgrade to another rig and I'll be fine getting a new mobo and a new cpu but would it be worth going FM2. I keep reading that FM2 would be the future for amd and am3 will die out.

That's one of those hybrid sli boards. Check your bios set-up and make sure that's not enabled. The PCI bandwidth should be fine. One other thing to remember is driver support for SLI with certain games. You may just need a different driver.

EDIT: I see it has PCI Training set that to Gen 2

Last edited:
yeah its not enabled. yeah im also running the latest.

Does PCI training have an issue with my board

That's one of those hybrid sli boards. Check your bios set-up and make sure that's not enabled. The PCI bandwidth should be fine. One other thing to remember is driver support for SLI with certain games. You may just need a different driver.

EDIT: I see it has PCI Training set that to Gen 2

WHat would Gen2 mean for PCI training

Back