• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Black Edition A8-6600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christ0ph3r

Okay so i decided to go with the A8-6600k, instead of the A10-6800k or an FX AM3+ processor. The main reason was i purchased the processor for only $80. Should i sell my A8-6600k and EVGA GTX 650 and purchase an AM3+ FX-8350 with an GTX 660ti? I'm just wanting something i wont have to upgrade until atleast playstation 5 is coming out, if you get my drift.

I would think it rather foolish to try and run "fast" AM3+ FX processor since you don't have a clue how hot they run overclocked and how much power they can draw thru a board making only about 5 boards that we suggest for really overclocking an 8 core FX processor.

If you have the BE APU and have it on one of the better mobo's you should do well and still be able to put a hefty video card in it.
RGone...

--Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-D3H.
--AMD A8-6600k ~4.3Ghz QuadCore W/ Arctic Alpine 64 PLUS 92mm CPU fan.
--(4x 2GB) PNY XLR8 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM.
--Thermaltake TR2-600W Power Supply.
--EVGA GTX 650.
--NZXT 210 Source Mid-Tower.
--WD Blue 7200RPM 500GB HD

Should i sell my A8-6600k and EVGA GTX 650 and purchase an AM3+ FX-8350 with an GTX 660ti?

Really with the FX your getting a little higher clock speed, and 4 more cores. Is it a better cpu?? Well yes in fact the FX is a better cpu being that the A8 is an APU designed for low power consumption and power savings with the use of onboard IGP and discrete graphics not needed.

I'd just look for a much larger video card. If you have the money to spend on an 8 core FX and new board to go with it, I'd just keep the APU and board you have now. Nothing wrong with it, quad cores game perfectly fine, and you don't have enough gpus to need 8 cores.

For around 250$ you can get a GTX 760. I'd think this card would be quite satisfying for you being it'll run your games at 1080P and better. You'll enjoy great frame rates at high settings, unlike the low to med settings and lower resolution you are forced to run now.

Just my take on it. Cpu power isn't really needed as much as that gpu.

GLHF

Okay so I recently sold the EVGA GTX 650. This morning me and my fiance' drove to BestBuy and I purchased the XFX R7770 Ultra OC Black Edition graphics card for $120. So far this card blows the 650 out of the water :)

Back