• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD chipset cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SilenX IXN-40C Copper Chipset Cooler =That cooler is held in place by spring tensioned wire arms that go thru "loops" that come up off the motherboard and the cooler on your Dad's mobo is held on/down by a push pin arrangement and they will not interchange.

I think I would tell him there is no further cooling needed in that proprietary configuration. If you have a serious issue there are no substitute parts available.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will tell him he doesn't need to bother with cooling the northbridge or southbridge then. He wants a new GPU for his system, I will tell him to put the money towards that. Actually I would like to upgrade my EVGA 560SC 2GB to an EVGA 670SC 4GB, so maybe I will work out a deal with him.

Actually, RGone, that NB cooler I referenced has both pushpin and clip fasteners.

Actually, RGone, that NB cooler I referenced has both pushpin and clip fasteners.

You sir are specifically right on and I was far and away in error. Upon looking very closely at the pictures, I found the pushping hold-down wings. What I did not see described in the 'kit' was new push-pins. If he had to reuse the old ones, then he would have to remove the mobo and release the push-pin from the rear in order to reuse instead of just cutting the original push-pins off with side cutters.

Heck if I know. Why I said if there is a problem and him dealing with OEM type proprietary mobo, I would be very careful fooling with it since there are no reasonable replacement parts. Some of these online places sell "pull" mobos but man I got burned so bad trying to do a "pull" to replace a proprietary mobo that I threw it in the garbage and bought a mobo that was for DIY use. There are any number of places where I have learned the very hard way. Hehehe. I guess that is for my hard head. RGone...ster. :bang head

thermaltake hr-05 is what i use on my p45 board got it for 15 bucks used works great too and comes with a plethora of mounting hardware 3 different pushpin brackets and the clip bracket for the little metal u shaped hooks and zipties for fan mounting

thermaltake hr-05 is what i use on my p45 board got it for 15 bucks used works great too and comes with a plethora of mounting hardware 3 different pushpin brackets and the clip bracket for the little metal u shaped hooks and zipties for fan mounting

Yes all that hardware but you don't say if it comes with new push-pins. That is what I was saying about the SilenX 'trents' suggested and even at the SilenX website they do not say if new push-pins are provided since I went there as well.

If the stock cooler is still on there, I'd just add a fan.
Easier, probably cheaper.

Yes all that hardware but you don't say if it comes with new push-pins. That is what I was saying about the SilenX 'trents' suggested and even at the SilenX website they do not say if new push-pins are provided since I went there as well.

yea it comes with new pushpins :) since i bought mine used it had a huge tube of thermaltake tim idk if it came with retail though

Oh, yeah. That 560 would take some squeezing to get in there.

Actually it was allready in his system once (OEM), until I built my Z77 rig :attn:. It fit great in there actually, but that HP case sucks for airflow and it gets pretty warm in there. I also had my Thermaltake 850w PSU in the top of that HP case, now THAT was a tight fit!
I think he will just end up with my Rosewill Challenger case and a few other things from my system. I am planning on a few upgrades soon. I am going to get a CM 690 II Advanced case and do a custom WC loop for my CPU, then a 4GB 670.

Last edited:
Allready upgraded from the stock CPU cooler, it has a Cooler Master Gemin II S524.

Well I ordered my EVGA GTX 670SC 4GB yesterday, so the old man will be getting my EVGA GTX 560SC 2GB. He did order a better PSU for it too, that HP 300w just wasn't going to cut it! He got a Corsair AX650 PSU.

Stock chipset cooler is what I meant.

I know what you meant, I was told cooling the northbridge wasn't needed so I told my dad to invest in other upgrades. I do have another stock AMD northbridge heatsink from an old board I may add a small fan to and try it out though. Thanks.

Back