• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD + Fusion = The Future

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's starting to sound pretty definate that AM3+ is leaving. :cry:
That's too bad was hoping for just a bit more. Not sure how I feel about an all APU line up but.....
Do what you have to I guess. I do hope they get things straightened out though and get some traction again!

I believe that a Non Apu platform will continue to co-exist for a while longer at least. The hardcore crowd will not give up the room for more processing power on the chip that the gpu takes from the silicon space.

In my opinion articles like this are based on nothing. A 2 page articles saying this and that but not backing anything up. Wait for AMD to respond. Am3+ is shortlived for a reason that lots of people seem to forget... There was actually never supposed to be a AM3+.... Bulldozer was supposed to work on AM3 from the start. Time constraints and TDP problems made AMD make a updated chipset with better power control etc.

Rumors about AMD are always goddamn sketchy because AMD is most of the time quit silent about its general plans. Sure they leak a roadmap once in a while. but we have seen them in the past. They never work out exactly as leaked.

Memory manufacturers are currently starting mass production of DDR4 memory. Maybe AMD wants the new high end chipset to use that and cannot disclaim stuff because they are on the bad side of a NDA themselves. Those are things you just have to consider before making these wild rumors seem like the universal thruth.

Let me say this and this is all I personally can say: I May or may not know more about the plans.

I believe that a Non Apu platform will continue to co-exist for a while longer at least.

It continues to exist today, at least. Just got notified that my FX-8350 RMA was approved and they've shipped a replacement :p

Guys, I'm going to remove these fighting over windows vs linux posts. Let's keep this on topic please and stop with both the windows vs. linux and the personal nature of these posts.

On topic, I think the article is probably on target. AMD never tells me much other than that they don't comment on unreleased products (until they do, and that's after they have us under NDA), but based on the horribly overpriced FX-9xxx CPUs, I think they may be AM3+'s last hurrah. AMD still has a place and it's a shame many people think they're just out of it at this point. For the price, their offerings are still quite solid, even if their chipset is a bit dated.

They need to get power consumption down and IPC up. Sadly, those are two very challenging prospects. Without software to take advantage of it HSA/hUMA is just a marketing gimmick. For our part of the market, if they could make an APU that has a CPU portion to compete with, say, a 4670K and get game companies to program items to take advantage of that powerful onboard compute GPU (think PhysX for AMD or something like that) that works in tangent with a discrete GPU, that would be a winning combination.

Last edited:
The FX-8350 more than stands up to any Intel in multi-thread games, and the new consoles are All AMD based, with Radeon GPUs.I wonder what game developers will be programming for in the future.Why would AMD go to lengths to implement 8 cores in both next gen consoles & have developers optimizing for 8 cores then completely abandon 8 core designs for the PC & servers. Maybe they have something else up here sleeve. Unfortunately, the evidence so far, points otherwise.

Last edited:
Back