• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD noob here, looking for basic info/advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

I'm thinking about building my first AMD rig. I've assembled about 10 Intel builds in the past, but I'm a bit out of my element with AMD.

Is it stupid to buy now? I've heard AMD is coming out with a new socket type soon.

What is the current preferred cpu for gaming? I'm looking at the 5600X

Is it a bad idea to pair an AMD cpu with an Nvidia gpu? I'm considering the RTX 3070

Can anyone recommend a solid AM4 socket, PCIe 4 mobo?

Stick to Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series CPUs if you are going AMD. Amd and Nvidia makes an EXCELLENT combo, IMO, that is what I run :)

I'd say any mid to high end B550 or X570 MB is a good bet! I personally have the Asus TUF B550M Plus and I love it. Was $170 this past July.

As far as a NEW socket, I do not know. I do know that they just launched the 5000 series on AM4, and there are still more (lower end) chips to come.

My budget is around $1200, not including peripherals.

I already have an extra M.2, spinner HDD, PCI wifi card, monitor, psu, keyboards, etc etc

So basically I'd just have to buy a mobo, video card, RAM, and CPU

If I get the basic version of the B550 mobo Ben suggested, it's only $115.
32GB of DDR4 3600 is $130
I'm leaning towards an RTX 3070 (if I can find one in stock) which is around $500
That means as long as my CPU is <$500, I should be under budget.

The TUF lineup has slid down the product stack from what it was a couple gens ago. It along with the Prime are decent budget boards though, for sure. With your budget, id go a rung or two higher...maybe an Asus Strix b550-F wifi.. more robust vrms, improved audio codec, better wifi, better looks...

I'll vouch for my board again :) I've really enjoyed using it. I think it cost me $170 in July, and certainly feels quality at that price. If it is even cheaper now, I'd say it is a great way to direct more budget towards the GPU and CPU. I plan on keeping my board for a couple years, while everything on it gets upgraded.

Personally, a decade ago in the core 2 era, I was a huge fan of the Gigabyte ultra durable series (UD). But now those look "cheap" to me. My AM4 board is the only new board I've had in quite a while. Last one I bought brand spankin new was in 2011 I think, was for an i5 750 build. I went gigabyte on that, and was quite pleased. Basically the same experience I had with them on core 2.

If you get the chipset you want, and the VRM looks solid, you can really go with any board as long as it has the features you want \ need. I chose my board based on the VRM *looking* pretty tough and solid, as well as it having plenty of high speed USB3, digital optical SPDIF so I can connect it directly to my audio receiver, looking nice /w its large VRM heatsink setup and black PCB... nothing busy to tacky to look at. Another big push for me was built in 2.5 gig lan. Trust me, if I buy something and it falls below expectations, I'll tell pretty much anyone interested. That said, my personal hands on experience is quite limited when it comes to current gen tech. But I've been doing my best to stay informed via the net. From what I have seen, if I had to re-buy my MB and HAD to pick something else, I'd probably go with another ASUS board or an MSI board. The more expensive gigabyte stuff also looks fine.

Last edited:
I reviewed it... surely a solid budget offering. I think he is able to get everything else on the list though and get a better board. If this borks the budget for the planned gpu or cpu, I wouldnt do it either. Otherwise, id absolutely go higher tier with more robust/better mobo. :)

Price difference between the TUF and Strix b550 F on newegg is $50 (160 v 210). Not sure where he's snagging one for 115 though. :)

Okay, I see that it has a 12+2 power stage on the Strix 550 vs the 8+2 on the B550 Plus. Other than that they look very similar. I'm hoping my board OCs just as well with a 3700x in it as it does now with my 3600. Should be fine, considering the 3600 is basically a 3700x with two cores disabled. (same tdp)

No matter what features you get on a board it all comes down to the vrm eventually. A better vrm overclocks better extends life off everything attached to the board and let's you go on with more power hungry cpus in the future which will come our eventually as the zen chips get closer to their threshold. Another thing is that the vrm contributes in the overall heat inside your case and a nice cooling solution on it helps with the heat on the back side of you mobo which is so hard to cool. After all this my opinion is the asus strix since the effort put in the vrm is pretty much the most compared to every other motherboard. As a side note all that stuff adds up to the memory department which is something that cares about voltages in the overall board layout. Hope that helps.

I have a Strix B550-F too. Its a pretty good board if I'm honest. I got it from a black friday sale. My only regret was being too cheap to get the wifi model. Oh well.

Back