• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Oem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackaroo

Registered
I need some help gathering some information on AMD OEM products supplied from amd. Its hard as hell to search forums on this since "AMD" and "OEM" are both 3 letters long lol.

What quality control is their on OEM AMD proccessors that are sent back to the factory for testing then redistribution? I also was told some OEM products are produced right out of the factory.

It would be realy nice if anyone had a direct link to what AMD does and dosnt do as far as testing that make some of their products oem. One thing I heard is its just because they distribute cpus without heatsinks and fans that make them OEM. Is this true or is their more to it?

I already have a cpu. I was talking to someone and he said they are oem because they failed testing. I was thinking maybe they wouldnt fully test them but I highly doubted AMD would sell any cpus that they didnt test for quality. If anyone could find any info directly from amd please do. Any links would be nice.

Jackaroo said:
I already have a cpu. I was talking to someone and he said they are oem because they failed testing. I was thinking maybe they wouldnt fully test them but I highly doubted AMD would sell any cpus that they didnt test for quality. If anyone could find any info directly from amd please do. Any links would be nice.

I think your friend is full of it. AMD would be in alot of legal trouble selling OEM CPU's that were not properly rated for the speed they are advertised at.

It is my understanding that CPU cores are tested and labeled by demand. So that if there was a demand for say 100 XP 3200's, the fisrt 100 to pass testing would be labeled as such. Then they would move on down the line so that in fact, a core that could have passed as an XP 3200 may be labeled as an XP 2500 due to demand for each CPU.

Jackaroo said:

oem and retail cpus have same of quality, the only reason they have oem cpus are for companys that make computers like dell, gateway, ect... who warranty the parts them selfs rather then using the manufacturers warranty, they also use thier own cooling parts rather then the manufacturers.

Back