• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD or Intel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The more I read about ATI cards, the more concerned I get. There seems to be a lot of problems from poor drivers to poorly manufactured cards. Many reviews are so-so. Looks like the AMD & ATI may not have been a good fit.

If I go w/a Nivida card, what would you recommended in the $150 or range?

7600GT,7900gs,7900gt or if you find one that cheap the 7950GT.

:welcome: to the forums jojo!!

You're going to be very pleased with that board. Its an awesome board. Its running my Q6600 at 3.6Ghz, no problems at all. My only suggestion would have been that you spent just a tad more for a Quad. They do put out more heat, yes. But according to recent articles, a 3.6Ghz Q6600 outperforms a 3.8Ghz E6750. Just something to keep in the back of our mind.

As far as your video card selection goes, for your price range, I would suggest an ATI X1900 XT or X1950 XT. You can find them on craigslist, ebay, here in the classifieds, and other forums. They perform just as well at the 7900 series and they can fold :attn:

You said you bought an Enermax Power Supply. How much wattage was it? With a system like that, you want to be sure that you don't skimp on the PSU. The P35 boards like a hefty power supply. Whats the rail ratings on the one you purchased?

Looks like you got a nice little setup going there.. keep us updated!

-Dave

I changed my mind on the PSU. After reading a lot of reviews, I think I am going to go with the Corsair 620HX. Since I am likely only going to run one video card, this should be plenty of power. The tests say this PSU is really closer to 700 watts anyway.

I also changed the case to a Cooller Master 690.

I brought a new Pioneer 18x CD/DVD DL writer with a SATA connection.

I am undecided if I will go with a honkin' big air cool heat sink like Enzotech or maybe a low to mid water cool kit from probably Petra. It's not so much that I intend to do extreme overclocking but the water cool takes up less room in the case than the air cooler and doesn't block access to things. The Enzo heatsink is about $60. The low-end Petra kit is $135. And water cool looks cool [lol].

I bought a cheapo 7900gs for around 75$ new on ebay. I've been really happy with it. Although if you've got a bit more money there's an ATI card the x1950xt I believe that marginally outperforms it. Pretty much the best you can get before going to the 88's

I've seen some decent prices with discounts on the 8600's. How are they relative to the 7900's?? And does it matter if the card says SLI ready (since I don't have SLI on the mobo)? Do I need to look for anything special other than PCI-E?

Oh boy... Not another 8600 vs 7900 argument...

Grab a 7900 imo. Just PCIe.

Comp is looking great so far. You will NOT be disappointed.

Which is currently best for gaming? AMD or Intel

Intel is right now but then depending on who you talk to they are even. as it is even being if your running SLI or CF the cards are basicly bottlenecked by the cpus. Really if your running a SLI or CF it doesnt matter which you go with that is if your running just stock cpu speeds. if your after ocing then go with intel no dought about it.

Thanks Evil.....

I won't be clocking, but you have confirmed what I have been hearing from noob PC user's which is good. Thank-you.. much appreciated... free :beer:
for everyone

Intel is right now but then depending on who you talk to they are even. as it is even being if your running SLI or CF the cards are basicly bottlenecked by the cpus. Really if your running a SLI or CF it doesnt matter which you go with that is if your running just stock cpu speeds. if your after ocing then go with intel no dought about it.

I have looked at a number of chipsets (NV, VIA) and CPU (amd, Intel). Aside from clock speeds and overclocking, which solution(s) is the most STABLE, the most compatible with memory, and has the best power saving features? By the latter, I mean, standby or hibernation. I'd like my system to do that. Would I have to have the power plug on for that?

My laptop is on xp and has an amazing hibernation system and it saves so much time for booting up and working from where you left off.

Just an update. I have all the parts and put the machine together. Unfortunately, I can't get into BIOS due to an ABIT C1 error, which a lot of people seem to experience with ABIT. Doesn't seem to like the Corsair memory (6400C4DHX). I even went out and brought another couple of sticks of cheap memory to try that and it didn't work either.

I have posted on the ABIT forum and spent a lot of time experimenting trying to get the machine into the first boot w/o any luck. This is annoying and frustrating. I think I am going to RMA the board and if the next one doesn't work either, then I will switch to some other mobo.

Just an update. I have all the parts and put the machine together. Unfortunately, I can't get into BIOS due to an ABIT C1 error, which a lot of people seem to experience with ABIT. Doesn't seem to like the Corsair memory (6400C4DHX). I even went out and brought another couple of sticks of cheap memory to try that and it didn't work either.

I have posted on the ABIT forum and spent a lot of time experimenting trying to get the machine into the first boot w/o any luck. This is annoying and frustrating. I think I am going to RMA the board and if the next one doesn't work either, then I will switch to some other mobo.

That's a good isea, especially since it didnt even work with the cheapo sticks...

Try assembling it on a cardboard box, and see if that works. Lets not have to RMA anything we don't have to.

Yeah, I did strip the mobo out of the case and tried to get it working on the box. Tried no video card, both of the memory sticks in slot4 (recommended on the ABIT forum). Still no good. So now I will have to mess with an RMA and wait for the turn around to try again. And of course, I had to submit the rebate, which meant cutting out the UPC code form the box which I just know is going to cause problems. But the rebate HAD to be postmarked by 10/8.

What I don't understand is that I paid Mwave extra to assemble & test the combo. I assumed that meant getting into the BIOS. However, I am starting to think now that all it meant was that it didn't explode when they switched the power on.

Yeah, I did strip the mobo out of the case and tried to get it working on the box. Tried no video card, both of the memory sticks in slot4 (recommended on the ABIT forum). Still no good. So now I will have to mess with an RMA and wait for the turn around to try again. And of course, I had to submit the rebate, which meant cutting out the UPC code form the box which I just know is going to cause problems. But the rebate HAD to be postmarked by 10/8.

What I don't understand is that I paid Mwave extra to assemble & test the combo. I assumed that meant getting into the BIOS. However, I am starting to think now that all it meant was that it didn't explode when they switched the power on.

Bummer :/

(I doubt they install Windows :santa:)

Actually, spoke with the tech today and he claimed that they DO install Windows! Whatever, it didn't work for me so I RMA'd the board back to them. Hopefully, they will give me a new board that doesn't have any problems.

Just to update: I RMA'd the board back to MWave. They replaced it with the newer 1.1 revision. Everything is working now and hope to get the OS loaded & configured this weekend.

Back