• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Overdrive is crazy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"ALC"? Do you mean "LLC"?

So by "soft overclock" I take it you meant a small or a tentative overclock?

"ALC"? Do you mean "LLC"?

So by "soft overclock" I take it you meant a small or a tentative overclock?

Soft, light, not heavy. Low voltage needed, not bringing the mobo to it's limits. Turbo core goes to 4,1. So I consider 4,475 soft, using lower voltage than what turbo cores uses. It's a soft O.C.
Do you know how can I close my account?

If you want to unjoin the forum as it were ("How can I close my account?) I think that may require the intervention of a moderator.

I hope this is not as a result of being offended by our desire for clarification. We really do enjoy helping folks here. Sometimes it gets a little chippy and some participants are a little gruff sometimes but for the most part people are just trying to help.

something said:
WHy is it a necesity to push limits?

Because when primarily benching you may not be able to get into windows at X Mhz Overclock no matter how much voltage you give it. It is necessary to push the limits because you can set the overclock in the BIOS a bit lower get into windows then push up the OC using software such as AMD overdrive.

Now "manny" you did not answer the question as quoted. Hehehe. You answered why we might use software to overclock in windows TO TEST the LIMITS. Hehehe. Not why we do test the limits.

H*ll we test the limits because we can. Because some of us feel we 'must' test the limits. And often I think as relates to computers anyway, my limits testing has taught a non-sheep-skinned ole faht more than i would have learned any other way.

The real issue is when you do overclock the burden is really on the shoulders of the overclocker. But in the world now are those that want to run outside the limits with all the warranty in place and the blame moved over to someone or something else.

How much voltage can I put on my cpu? Who knows "for real".
How hot do you think I can run my cpu? Who really knows when joe blows silicon or trace might give up?

I look around at what the people that run fast most of the time and buy parts like theirs since their parts run fast and I look to see what voltages and temps they allow for. I then decide how much risk I am willing to take and move accordingly.

You have never and never will; unless I just get old (older then) and senile to know anything, seen me ask how much voltage or how hot to let my cpu go. Never. Not in 20 odd years of fooling with overclocking from back when it took a soldering gun to overclock.

Deeyam, how in hale get so far off track. We have already muddied up Gin's thread and here I go some more. So much that he is sick or our shett.

Gin I want to apologize for our roughness. It takes a good bit of back and forth to get all of us rough-arses on the same page at times. I have no pause with telling a new user to clock out of the bios. But I also have NO issue with your procedure. Not sure now even what this thread was about. Heck I always thought software overclocking was cheating as applied to benching. Then like all humans...well anything for the score. If my clock would not boot windows, then it had no semblance of being real, but that was an ole faht like me fighting against the tide of got to, got to, got to be first. Hehehe.

And if one stops and thinks very closely, I overclock with software all the freeken time. You say well how so? I have winders power manager clocking my cpu down when not loaded and bustin that same cpu in the butt when called on with a load. See it is sort of relevant to where you are standing. Suffice it to say I know my bios just like you very much seem to do also, Gin. Good luck man.
RGone...ster.

RGone, I think our issue is not with using software as a tool to tweak on an overclock but using it as the main tool to overclock.

This is why I took it to pm...

The point is to be stable enough to pass a benchmark... Not daily driving. Booting is harder than running some 2d benchmarks.. Hence we boot in lower than the limit and use Windows tools to get that last bit (as I said in pm).

It is reccommended to use the bios to overclock. Not because Windows tools are not 'accurate' or don't 'calibrate'as well, nor is it because there is less/more of a chance to Bork Windows. Windows based tools have improved over the years to be plenty useable for the average user. I simply prefer not to add a software layer to boost my.clocks when I get to Windows so I use the bios.

Now, let's take care of the OP and his needs and move on... :)

Last edited:
I had a bad day, to much work. I was a bit upset yesterday that's all.
The thing is I asked something quite simple to understand, I know my english is bad but stills, the idea was understood since it was answered fast and furious in the first page.
Personally I enjoyed reading all the stuffs that came here in this thread, sometimes you find interesting things under simple non bright things like this thread. I appreciate the apologizes coming from RGone, such a nice and polite person I'm reading here. However, there is no need to apologize in this particular case, since I found most of the thread content interesting and since I'm the O.P it was fine with me.
The little issue was about someone telling me I wasn't overclocking by bios, literally said I was an "go all auto bios guy" at least that's what I understood. I wasn't really mad at it, but as a member that joined these forums a bit ago when I had an athlon II x3 440 and got it unlocked to a phenom b40 with no l3 cache but with a free core, oced it to 3,6 for a while and had plenty of fun with it. For a guy like me I don't consider myself any kind of pro or advanced overclocker, but even so I'm an overclocker, novice or not I am one. Friends of mine had no idea and have never touch a bios, so I it was sad for me being treated as an "auto" bios boy who is not overclocking by bios. Just that, it was nothing serious, was the feeling of thinking I was part of something and then you read that maybe you are not even close to that. If I asked to close my account it's because maybe hes right and I'm 0 at this. I remember in the past I bored RGone with tons of questions that I don't know how he didn't get mad with me spaming the forums lol. I rather choose to leave this place in peace, I already achieved a soft stable O.C and I'm happy with it, I'm going to still use the word soft no matter someone outhere gets confused lol.
So that's all, thanks for all the help and your time.

Hey we all have bad days Gin, we'll always be around here to help out if you need it too.
If it's any consolation I don't think there was any intent other than clarification. We all interpret things differently when corresponding over the distance in nothing but print. I look at it like text messaging. I have seen my children get into some serious squabbles with their counterparts because of the way the other person read the message.

Gin, thanks for posting back and letting us know how all this impacted you.

Back