• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II 955 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you like to experiment, like most of us do here at overclockers, read the guides I posted in #6. I have learned a great deal from them and also the people in this community. They are all willing to go the extra mile to help you learn how to overclock and achieve your goals. Be careful though, once you get the bug you'll be overclocking everything. :)

+1 to that.

Software overclock is usually unreliable and far from optimal and pretty damn sloppy too. You can probably shave off alot of the voltage if you're running at stock. Also buying an aftermarket cooler never hurts :). They're cheap enough and give you a few extra hundreds of MHz of OC room for like 20~30 dollars.

Three CPUz and HWMonitor

Do the CPUz captures I posted change any of your advice you had given in your previous reply?

I'm guessing no, but for my own future reference so I can diagnose these things myself, could you please explain what the CPUz shows that was not shown in the HWMonitor so I know what to look for?

@"aeronyth" about captures I wrote this guideline.

The three captures of CPUz that we normally ask for show us a number of things when used on an AMD motherboad:
1. Naming/model and stepping and speed of processor. With one place to look at Vcore applied to CPU.
2. Amount, current speed, ganged/unganged, and timings of ram.
3. The SPD capture shows us the description and recommendations of the ram as programmed at manufacture into the ram SPD itself.
4. This is #4 and it relates to a fourth capture that is also nice to have in evidence and it is the Mainboard tab since it tells the motherboard in use. The bios in use in case of needing to move to a later version and also if the board 'happens' to have a later revision of a chipset or other listed component.

HWMonitor adds to the three above:
1. Min / Max voltages to check power supply voltages.
2. Min / Max voltages to the cpu and why we ask that HWMonitor be running and monitoring while you run P95 Blend test so we see the voltages while cpu is loaded/working hard and also what the voltages are when the cpu is not loaded.
3. Again it is suggested to start/open HWMonitor before beginning P95 Blend, so we get to see the Min / Max temps of the CPU socket and CORE temps when not doing anything and not under load and then loaded as P95 Blend is opened and begins to run and then after P95 completes safely or has a failure, we get to see a much more clear picture of what has happened sometimes 1,000s of miles from where you live.

Since most of us use the same tools on "our own" computers when testing and tuning to
overclock, it would only make perfect sense to see the same thing for a user's computer
that again maybe 1000s of miles distant.

And in closing, we use/look at these CPUz screens and HWMonitor screens at "every" level of overclock and every change we make. Adjust >> Run P95 Blend >> Check CPUz and HWMonitor. That is the progression of an overclock for most studied overclockers. We adjust >> Stress >> Check Results. When you give us the captures at each stage of your overclock, then you are only doing what each of does at his own rig when pushing the evelope.

Hope this answers the why about the captures we ask for. RGone...ster.

Back