• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom ll problem HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ddemko100

Today I was roaming BIOS to see if I could overclock/unlock my CPU. I found out I could do both! So when i unlocked my cores, my AMD phenom ll X2 B55 magically transformed into a AMD Athlon ll X4 555! :facepalm: While I was working with 4 cores my computer screwed up and froze, making me restart my computer. So I decided to lock it back up to 2 cores, and CPU-Z and dxdiag called it an Athlon ll! At this point I am afraid to uverclock.:confused:

I dont think there is anything to be afraid of with overclocking your chip if you take your time with it. There are some great guys here that will be able to help you with your overclock. What caused your computer to freeze ..... hard to say. Odds are heat or you need a bit more voltage for your cpu.Down load CPUZ, HW Monitor and CoreTemp and somethig to stress your CPU with like Prime 95. We will need views from each CPUZ tabs, CPU, Memory and SPD tabs as well as HWMonitor open with your CPU under fullload with Prime running in the background. Get a screen shot of this and crop out whatever you dont need to show to make it easier to see and post it so we can see what your settings and how hot your CPU is running. You should also make a a signature in your profile with what components you have in your system , case, cpu, motherboaard, memory, GPU, powersupply, case ..... etc. I am not up on unlocking CPU as I have never had a reason to do it but I am sure someone will come along that has and can help more.

+1 manu2b, it's an awesome guide.
most likly froze due to low voltage for the unlocked cores, try upping the cpu voltage in the bios a little to get it up and running, but only a nudge or two at a time.

Back