• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turbo Fun with AMD Overdrive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
I've been tinkering a little bit with my Hexacore Phenom II rig. Finding AMD Overdrive to be very fun in terms of getting the most out of my overclock.

Only thing lacking is the ability to increase CPU-NB speed. If you disable a custom P state in the BIOS CPU NB speed will default to 2000mhz, but then I can set custom turbo settings like this:

Turbo 3.PNG

Turbo 2.PNG

Turbo Core 1.PNG

-We are working with an AMD 960T processor. This CPU is unlocked to a hexacore that is stable 3.8Ghz across all six cores. Using the turbo functionality I was able to set my first 4 cores to 4Ghz turbo and the last two cores to 3.8Ghz turbo. This gives me the best of both worlds; I get the stability I need while turboing up to 4Ghz as needed for the 4 good cores.

Cpu-nb is a voltage for IMC.

NB core voltage and speed are seperate from cpu-nb.

So not sure exactly, but think you want to increase NB speed yea?

You can use the multiplier or bus clocks or both to increase NB speed.

Hope this helps!!

Cpu-nb is a voltage for IMC.

NB core voltage and speed are seperate from cpu-nb.

So not sure exactly, but think you want to increase NB speed yea?

You can use the multiplier or bus clocks or both to increase NB speed.

Hope this helps!!

Yes, CPU-NB is IMC... but there is no way to increase this speed setting from AMD overdrive (has to be done from the BIOS ONLY). Only thing I can do is increase voltage, which doesn't help if the speed stays at the stock 2.0Ghz.

-So it's a trade off. When I use AMD overdrive I can tweak the CPU turbo to work more effectively, but only with the CPU NB at the stock 2.0Ghz.
-If I run a custom P state in the BIOS I can modify CPU-NB speed, however, that disables AMD overdrive turbo functionality. So it's a cache 22.

Also with this board (Biostar A880GZ) I cannot increase bus speed. Limited to multiplier OCing only.

I think earlier versions of AOD allowed changing the CPU-NB speed from within the utility, but since a reboot was required anyway they dropped it.

Back