• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD RX 480 Review list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmmm might be a nice solution to me. Got a 290 right now with a mild OC. I don't want to spend huge bucks on a new card but want something with a little more, and potential to give more at 2160p (1080p is good as well due to scaling). Or might just see what the 480x or 490 brings at least. If its sub $300 it will be a good to look at and this is very tempting.

The 480 loses to a 290x in multiple benchmarks. I don't see any reason to change to a 480 from a 290.

Eh, I'm still OK with ordering a 480. There's always a newer/faster/better card about to come out. If the 480 does what it's supposed to do I'll be happy. I can always throw another one in there if I have to. Or get a 1060 when the dust settles. I've made a lot more important decisions than this I can regret if I want to. LOL

to me it looks like a draw between the 1060 and 480. for $250 you get

rx480-slightly slower in old titles, more ram, better dx12 (modern) performance, and async compute

gtx 1060- slightly faster with less ram, more efficient, but missing modern features. so basically slightly better with old games and saves a couple bucks on electric bill.

rx480-slightly slower in old titles, more ram, better dx12 (modern) performance, and async compute

gtx 1060- slightly faster with less ram, more efficient, but missing modern features. so basically slightly better with old games and saves a couple bucks on electric bill.

Also, no SLI with the 1060 (AFAIK).

What modern features are missing?

What modern features are missing?

async compute, and proper dx12 support. not sure why nvidia is slower at dx12. it's like it's emulated or something. sli doesn't really matter because it won't save you any money over a single 1070. they got that right imo.

I honestly just think nvidia hadn't spent much time on dx12 drivers at this point because of the tiny marketshare.

I honestly just think nvidia hadn't spent much time on dx12 drivers at this point because of the tiny marketshare.

i hear ya i mean nvidia works better on most games out now but dx12 seems to be gaining momentum. seems like amd is a better bet at the moment. if dx12 games become common the 480 owners will be in a pretty sweet spot performance wise for very little money. everything ive seen shows 480 at least breaking even with 980 in dx12 games but i could be wrong. im sure it's not ALWAYS the case but there has to be something to it. may as well buy for the future as long as it's not too far off. i cant wait to see their next high end card.

async compute, and proper dx12 support. not sure why nvidia is slower at dx12. it's like it's emulated or something. sli doesn't really matter because it won't save you any money over a single 1070. they got that right imo.
My understanding on it is that directX12 support is suffering directly from not properly supporting async compute. (Properly as in, it can be done. But it requires much more code complexity because current Nvidia chips don't actually support it 100% thus it really isn't worth it and shouldn't need to be done. So I guess it is sorta emulatedish).

Here's a link to an article: http://wccftech.com/amd-improves-dx12-performance-45-gpu-asynchronous-compute-engines/

Coty's got it.

So how AMD and NVIDIA operate to design the software and hardware they create for their customers, are vastly different. AMD works by designing their hardware to the software spec. They look at whats available in the OPENGL, DX, and etc software packages, and create hardware cores that utilize the standards. Nvidia does their own thing. They take their hardware, and manipulate the software layer so that it can be translated correctly to the hardware.

Nvidia does this change so that they can reduce some of the software load with similar hardware. Basically they take similar instructions and combine the hardware resources. Reduces cost on hardware, and you can pack more of the same cores together, but this causes a nightmare on the software layer. This is why Nvidia has always been better with software (they hire lots of people to fix their mucked-up designs).

Nvidia's plan worked great up until DX12. Now that more low level control is given to the firmware/wrapper level, Nvidia does not have to re-package instructions. This also means that their hardware needs to be adapted to this style. Their current 1000s GeForce starts this trend, but they have a long way to catchup with AMD.

AMD has always written hardware to spec of software, thus why they are considered more of a hardware company, and rely more on other companies to bring in better software (AMD GPUs vs Nvidia Gameworks). If you start to look at DX12 benchs, you'll see that the Fury-X isn't that far behind the 1080. Same thing with the rest of the cards. AMD has a huge lead in DX12 with the hardware they have. They are now focusing on software packages that will enable DX12 further. Nvidia has the right everything, but it will take them a gen or two before they can start to control DX12 as they have with DX9-11.

OK, I ran Catzilla (free version so only 720p) on my R7 260x in the rig in my sig. Put the RX 480 in this morning and changed nothing else, not even the drivers. I got an 8515 with the R7 and a 20533 with the 480. In places where the 260x would drop down to low double digits (like 11 fps) the new card was holding over 70 fps. Most of the benchmark was 170 fps to 200+ fps. That's my contribution.

OK, I ran Catzilla (free version so only 720p) on my R7 260x in the rig in my sig. Put the RX 480 in this morning and changed nothing else, not even the drivers. I got an 8515 with the R7 and a 20533 with the 480. In places where the 260x would drop down to low double digits (like 11 fps) the new card was holding over 70 fps. Most of the benchmark was 170 fps to 200+ fps. That's my contribution.

WOW! That is great to hear! Thanks for posting!:)

My games aren't very demanding, and I had all the settings maxed out on the 260x, figuring the decent fps I was seeing meant the card was up to the task. Nope. All kinds of annoying behavior in World Of Warships went away with the new card. Skipping, freezing, stuttering, all gone now. In War Thunder shrubbery is in place at the limits of my shooting/visual range now instead of just popping up as I approach. I'm happy with the card so far.

^ Sounding great, I haven't got mine yet, should be here soon though, my post office kinda sucks with getting things out in a timely matter... Can't wait to get rid of the 960.

Back