• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Secure Another Deal With Global Foundries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

SOURCE (Yes its the Inq but decent info on future plans): http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2040223/amd-pay-global-foundries-32nm-chips

CHIP DESIGNER AMD has tweaked its deal with Global Foundries for production of 32nm chips.

Following its spin-off from AMD, Global Foundries was reportedly having trouble producing wafers using the 32nm node process. When these issues first came to light in 2010, AMD clearly thought that the problem was so severe that it warranted meeting with Global Foundries to change the way it pays for silicon.

AMD's new deal with Global Foundries was revealed yesterday with the firms moving to a die based pricing model from their previous wafer based model. In a conference call today, AMD said that the deal will be in place for four quarters including the current one, after which it will go back the same "cost plus" arrangement with Global Foundries.

Essentially AMD will now pay Global Foundries a fixed price for 45nm wafers that are delivered in 2011, and will only pay for good 32nm dies. AMD will give Global Foundries additional quarterly payments in 2012 if it can meet "continued availability of 32nm capacity" in 2012. AMD added that it expects Global Foundries to meet the conditions but said that the total additional payments will not exceed $400 million.

With the new deal, AMD claims it "aligns costs with yields", though in the conference call the firm said that at the time it was negotiating this deal "the 32nm ramp looked a bit more challenging than it is now". AMD added the new pricing agreement doesn't mean it is expecting lower yields from Global Foundries' 32nm process but that it will give "better protection" if yields are lower than expected.

Not surprisingly, analysts on the call asked whether AMD felt its deal with Global Foundries was one-sided, to which AMD answered that it provided incentives for Global Foundries to increase yield. What AMD was unable to answer was if the firm will face a similar issue when it transitions from the 32nm process node to 22nm.

Intel has started its transition to 22nm and AMD reiterated that it plans to be six quarters behind Intel. The question remains whether it will have to sit down with Global Foundries at that point to thrash out a similar deal in order to pay a competitive price for CPU dies.

AMD said that 32nm production is ramping up better than it forecasted last year and it tried to play down the significance of its new deal with Global Foundries. Nevertheless, it is clear that AMD was concerned that it might end up carrying the can for Global Foundries' problems. The new deal does insulate AMD to some degree during the course of 2011, a year when Global Foundries should finally get over the growing pains of its 32nm process node.

The relationship between AMD and Global Foundries is slightly stricter now, but going by AMD's own figures, there's no sign the two firms are walking away from each other. In 2010 AMD paid Global Foundries in the region of $1.2 billion for wafers, and it projects to pay somewhere between $1.1 billion and $1.5 billion in 2011 and $1.5 billion and $1.9 billion 2012. Even with this new pricing agreement, Global Foundries will continue to get more revenue from AMD year-on-year.

With all its dealings with Global Foundries, AMD added that TSMC remains a "committed partner" to fabricate its chips. That said, AMD's deal with Global Foundries goes to show that despite being a fabless chip design house, it won't be dominated by the chip foundries that turn its designs into reality.

So 32nm wont be out till 2012 which AMD admit it's 6 Q's behind but I think getting a chip to perform and start to show some competition is more important.

So 32nm wont be out till 2012 which AMD admit it's 6 Q's behind but I think getting a chip to perform and start to show some competition is more important.
Did you mean to say 22nm won't be out until 2012? I'm pretty sure Bulldozer is 32nm?

BTW - Thanks for sharing the info! :beer:

Last edited:
reading through that i'm not sure where it says that 32nm isn't going to come out till 2012.

Yes, he is mistaken (pretty easy to mess up the two numbers, I do it all the time.). Bulldozer will be 32nm. 22nm (which intel well be pushing into the market in H2 of 2011) will be sometime in 2012 for Amd. Not a huge deal since Amd has been at least 6 months behind in the next process for a while. :shrug:

Yes, he is mistaken (pretty easy to mess up the two numbers, I do it all the time.). Bulldozer will be 32nm. 22nm (which intel well be pushing into the market in H2 of 2011) will be sometime in 2012 for Amd. Not a huge deal since Amd has been at least 6 months behind in the next process for a while. :shrug:
I don't see any issues, either. (It's not like even 45nm AMD's are running 80°C at load. ;)) Just trying to clear things up so others won't be confused about the die sizes.

BD will need the 32nm so that it can fit all of those cores on one die.

The news is not surprising, but I was surprised to see that 22nm is going to take 6 quarters to catch back up, which is not to bad. After the 22nm, we probably will not see CPUs go down in die package for quite some time.

I'd be fairly surprised if they didn't shrink further, personally.

I've seen it said again and again "after X shrink it'll stay there a while", and it never has.
230nm was a good example, it was widely billed as impossible to get smaller then that.
Of course, here we are now with widespread 32nm...

Back