• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd sempron 3000+ socket a help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axsweb

hi i got a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L motherboard and a amd sempron 3000+ 2ghz at 166mhz which is 333fsb i think thats what cpuz says.
i heard you can push these up to 2.4ghz at 400fsb which 200 mhz
in the bios i got a setting that says cpu frequency and i set that to 200mhz and when i start cpuz it still says 166mhz 333 fsb.
any ides why it does this?

it wasnt a way to push them it was a way to unlock it more like tothe way the bartons used to be. finding articles for this sort of thing is getting hard to come by any more but theres a way.

oh
so you can overclock this cpu
do you know any way i just get it why the fsb does not change i changed it in the bios

In your mobo bios, there might be some sort of setting that will allow for most stable cpu/fsb when enabled and allows oc settings when disabled like on my AN7 board. (Although mine doesn't seem to like anything other than most stable).

I have the same thing though, I oc it in bios, boots and runs oc'ed (I know it) and yet CPUz does not show my OC unless I do it in windows with software.

Was not 100% sure if this was because I got a CPU made after the date that they became "superlocked".

Good Luck!

Can you post a CPUz screenshot of the CPU and RAM/SPD tabs? Also do you have Cool n Quiet enabled in BIOS? If so, disabling it can help stabilize things and it won't automatically reduce your speed and voltages while the system is idle. What type of RAM are you using? If you provide a little more info on your system specs we may be able to help you out more.

i am using ddr 400 512mb x 2 so that 1gb
i'll try find the cool and quiet in bios and try that
2lx6nnq.jpg
110gj2x.jpg
2itlca1.jpg
14sjn9t.jpg

any suggestions could not find cool and quiet in bios no option there

Last edited:
Ah ha. That may have been before CnQ ever came out. Now I see what we're really dealing with here. I've never actually OC'd an old Barton chip, but I hope it's not too different from a s939 Athlon. What you want to change is the bus speed, not the FSB speed. I have no idea what the BIOS looks like for that board or chip. Did you change the CPU setting from 166 to 200? Or was it another setting you changed to 200? You may have changed the RAM divider from 333 to 400 which is why it might not have changed the way you were expecting. I'd like to see the options in the BIOS, but that would require you taking a picture with a camera while in BIOS.. and I'm not expecting you to do that. ;) But see if there's a small list of bus speeds or settings like that, that can be chagned and we may be able to offer more advice which ones should be changed.

in the bios there is a option which says cpu frequncy. i changed that 200mhz and it made no difference. i changed the ram to 200mhz other than that there is no other option in the bios. i don't think there any bus speeds the only option is cpu frequency and that too when i flashed a modded bios so i can use all the features of the bios. before when it was not modded the bios had less options and now when it is modded the only option that seems to be there is the cpu frequency.

Hmm, is there an option to change cpu multiplier? If that setting is on auto, that could explain why increasing the cpu frequency stayed the same. Auto might have dropped the multi when you increased the frequency.. this is just a guess though because I'm not familiar with the CPU or MB options.

depending on the motherboard he might not be able to change the multiplier on the sempron, ewarlier ones werent as locked as later ones.

but i think thats why we're trying to get to 200Mhz FSB. i still havent found any thing.

do you know what chipset the mobo your using has? i take it from the model number its VIA but i could be wrong.

i try to find the cpu multiplier is it supposed to be in the frequency and voltage option in the bios. i looked there it is not there the only options are auto detect pci/clk, spread spectrum and cpu frequency
the chipset is sis 741gx
there is a jumper on my board and its the bios protection jumper will that make any difference

is this a system you bulit or was it a prebulit system (e-machine, compaq, ect.)
either way a SIS chipset doesent give you many features, i think with this motherboard your stuck with where your at.

oh well its ok then
it was custom built
thanks anyway for your help

Back