• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking an AMD Athlon X2 250, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mask

Hi all, can i get some help with overclocking this 2009 AMD Athlon X2 250, socket AM3 it's got a stock heatsink 2 cores and is staying at 3ghz
https://ibb.co/i0fjkJ
the motherboard is https://ibb.co/i1O1zd
memory https://ibb.co/n1fyed
the bios doesn't have any sort of overclocking option, i found this computer in the trash and gave it a graphics card specifcally, a GT 730 2gb ddr3

Last edited:
You will need to find the PLL and use a program like SetFSB with it if the BIOS doesn't have any options...

Please list the motherboard, memory, etc....

i've edited the post to show the links of my images, not sure why they were not visible the first time.

Moving forward (and Ihope you go back and edit them in) please host the images here and list them so we do not have to click around. 3rd party images will disappear so we ask images are hosted here so they last and area easily read in the thread. SPD tab which shows the memory's rated speeds please.. :)

You will have to find the PLL number for that board and plug it into SetFSB or a similar program to overclock.

EDIT: Is that a laptop? Not a great idea as those are pretty thermally limited out of the box.........

no this is a desktop computer and where can i find a PLL for my motherboard?

- - - Updated - - -

, here's the images by the way
Screenshot_47.png
Screenshot_48.png
Screenshot_49.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a cheap OEM/HP board from Pegatron from what I can tell. As E_D said your best bet is SetFSB. it's old but does work if your PLL chip is in the list. I have heard sisoft sandra can sometimes find the number but I ususally just go through the numbers in SetFSb untill I find the right one. There's also an old program called clockgen which works in the same way.
EDIT: because of the board it'll be hard to find any info on PLL. You're going to have to guess most likely.

I've just tried to open SetFSB but an error popped up saying ''chipset error'' is this a motherboard problem or a cpu problem?

I think that's the Nvidia 6100 chipset. Have you installed any drivers for it? Possible Set FSB won't work with it either. The Athlon X2 are decent chips, maybe you should look for a cheap motherboard

i'm not sure how to install drives for the chipset, what if i bought a new processor instead?

Drivers should be at the website for the motherboard (if there is one...that may be an OEM board out of some Dell/Gateway/HP machine(?).

Johan mentioned a new board would be better. A new CPU wouldn't matter as far as overclocking goes as it is the motherboard that does not have the ability.

I am trying to transform this machine into a gaming computer for my kids, wouldn't getting a new processor increase performance, if so, could you direct me towards a good cpu for the AM3 socket?

Like E_D said it's not the CPU per se. That CPU is OK ut that motherboard is terrible. Just enough to get the machine by. Probably wouldn't support a four core CPU looking at the power section

I am trying to transform this machine into a gaming computer for my kids, wouldn't getting a new processor increase performance, if so, could you direct me towards a good cpu for the AM3 socket?
A web gaming machine? It doesn't have the horsepower to do much more very well. What video card are you planning to use with it?

That CPU is definitely on the weaker side of the spectrum plus it has no level 3 cache. I would encourage you to ditch that CPU. If you want more processing power you should look into an AMD 965 Black Edition (make sure your board supports this CPU). This is a quad core CPU that runs stock at 3.4Ghz and has unlocked multipliers from the factory, so you could theoretically use a program like AMD Overdrive to overclock from within windows. The CPU can be had for about $25-$35 on ebay so it's a steal. You could also upgrade to a Solid State drive for maximum performance. These two mods would really wake the system up and give it life for another 5+ years. Make sure you also get a good cooler for your new CPU upgrade, such as a Coolermaster Hyper 212+.

so i've gotta buy, a new motherboard, a cpu, and a solid state drive? thanks for the mentions

so i've gotta buy, a new motherboard, a cpu, and a solid state drive? thanks for the mentions
No, you might be able to keep the board. Check the builder's website to see about CPU compatibility.

So my recommendation would be to purchase a USED CPU from ebay (such as the 965) and a USED solid state drive from eBay as well. Plus a CPU cooler, like I said, the Coolermaster Hyper 212 would work well (they are only like $25 brand new).

Id put money into a better gpu before i went to ssd for what appears to be a budget gaming machine.

Mask - what video card are you planning to drop in? What games?

That board has a 95W max so most of the x4's are out, plus no BIOS options so a BE would be a waste of time. I would swap it out hands down.
E_D:
a GT 730 2gb ddr3

You need to find out...

Youll get more out of gaming (assuming its more than web games) with a better video card than you with a cpu/mobo/ssd upgrade. So while that is a good suggestion overall, it may not yield the best bang for the buck for gaming.

Playing at 1920x1080 resolution, yes?

What is your budget to upgrade in total?

Back