• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Settles FX Bulldozer False Advertising Lawsuit for Roughly $35 a Chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Software can report anything. Cpuz reads info from the cpu... it does not judge for itself what is or isnt a core. It looks at the micro code which tells it what it is.

The issue isnt with shared cache only either...instruction fetch, decode, floating point and l2 were all shared.

The McDonald's example is a but ridiculous trying to compare these situations. It's a DERP that coffee is hot....it isnt a DERP for an average consumer to be able to discern between a quad and octo core when the box says octo.

Well the story behind the coffee wasn't a derp. It was lack of advertisement on the lid and cup NOT indicating "caution hot" Or even just "hot" if my memory serves me today. So really it actually is a great comparison, instead of a lie, it was just without statement which turned out to be just as bad. THAT is how our court system works. It has nothing to do with what the product is...

Now it's just the same, I agree, I was simply stating how I viewed the processor, not debating it with or against AMD's Bull-Dog (for lack of ability to use better words) case they had to defend themselves on lol. It was solely just my opinion of the processor. But happy the case is over and hopefully lesson learned.

Did you know that I was able to slightly increase my score with Cinebench and have it run 16 threads instead of 8?? Was something I found interesting. Doesn't seem to do the same with Ryzen chips, but I haven't done as much CB with Ryzen either... Just something that I kinda noticed.

My issue is the idiots suing would have to be people who bought the chips for a build or an existing rig. If they were pre builts then they'd have to sue Dell, HP, etc.. So there wasn't due diligence until AFTER they bought the chips and then did just enough research to misunderstand the CPUs and run to a lawyer.

My issue is the idiots suing would have to be people who bought the chips for a build or an existing rig. If they were pre builts then they'd have to sue Dell, HP, etc.. So there wasn't due diligence until AFTER they bought the chips and then did just enough research to misunderstand the CPUs and run to a lawyer.

Yep, it was stupid and they almost had gotten away with it, if it wheren't for those meddling kids!!

All the same, they where poor performance, I stuck with them, had tons of fun and so did a lot of other people. Just cause they lost some court battle, doesn't mean I couldn't game. The frame rates where just much lower lol.

Well the story behind the coffee wasn't a derp. It was lack of advertisement on the lid and cup NOT indicating "caution hot" Or even just "hot" if my memory serves me today.
Mine serves me differently. The joke was the cup said HOT!/Caution!/Achtung! already but it, somehow, wasn't enough. The coffee was served "too hot".
EDIT: https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

The DERP has nothing to do with this.

They wouldn't sue Dell or HP... they were under the same guise and had to advertise it as it was written to them. System builders don't know CPU arch either...

Lower, but still playable, correct?:D

Oh yea, still played the same games as everyone else.

Back in the day, I did the big spending on HW. Had Quad-Fire with a Saphire 4850x2 and 2x single slot Asus cards.
Used to Run Ageia Physx PPU in the PCI slot, now it's NVidia, but an old very heavy game ahead of it's time was Cell Factor Revolution.
Done a lot of gaming in my time. All on AMD hardware, and look, even though AMD is the best now, I'll still support them.

Glad to see AMD got what was coming to them for false advertising about cores. These settlements keep the tech giants in check from false advertising.

Yup, I've heard of these class action lawsuits. ..
Lawyers enjoy a good chunk of pie while you get a peanut.

Back