• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Settles FX Bulldozer False Advertising Lawsuit for Roughly $35 a Chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine serves me differently. The joke was the cup said HOT!/Caution!/Achtung! already but it, somehow, wasn't enough. The coffee was served "too hot".
EDIT: https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

It always irks me when people get this wrong. The issue wasn't that it didn't say warning, it was that they overheated it beyond company standards. The coffee was in excess of 200 degrees fahrenheit. That's not even remotely safe for handling or consumption. When she spilled it on herself, her thighs fused together. She had to get skin graft surgery, and the surgeon said it was the worst burn case he'd seen to date. Her request? That Mickey D's pay for her hospital stay. They responded with vouchers for 4 free apple pies. She didn't want to sue. She wanted to settle out of court, and didn't want any cash in her pocket.

Actually, after reading this article, I changed my stance on this case. I remember hearing about it and too was under the impression that this is ridiculous thing to sue for.

Thank you for posting.

It always irks me when people get this wrong. The issue wasn't that it didn't say warning, it was that they overheated it beyond company standards. The coffee was in excess of 200 degrees fahrenheit. That's not even remotely safe for handling or consumption. When she spilled it on herself, her thighs fused together. She had to get skin graft surgery, and the surgeon said it was the worst burn case he'd seen to date. Her request? That Mickey D's pay for her hospital stay. They responded with vouchers for 4 free apple pies. She didn't want to sue. She wanted to settle out of court, and didn't want any cash in her pocket.

From the link...

Mrs. Liebeck offered to settle the case for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and lost income. But McDonald’s never offered more than $800, so the case went to trial. The jury found Mrs. Liebeck to be partially at fault for her injuries, reducing the compensation for her injuries accordingly.

McDonald’s operations manual required the franchisee to hold its coffee at 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Back