• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD XP 2200+ Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trigger_sad

Hello everyone, I've been an AMD fan myself but have crossed over to "The Other Side" with my current rig but OCing AMDs has always been fun. A friend of mine had a 2200+ Rig together and I had a Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0 laying around my room so i told him i'll give it to him for free (if i get to OC it to hell). Well I did. Here's the results. From Stock 1.8GHz to 2.3Ghz on water at 2.1V (fluctuating a bit). Temperature is 48C at load. 38 C at idle. Prime stable for about an hours now, still letting it run (under torture Large FFFTs). Seems to be fairly stable. Could not get past 2.3GHz, seemed to be fully the cause of the CPU, (heat is not much of an issue, tryed upping the VCORE even higher, booted to windows but would freeze right away at 2.4GHz ). 2.36GHz ran windows ok but failed prime almost immediately. So i'm stickin with 2.3GHz because it seems rock solid for now. What do ya guys think about the OC?

Here's a screenshot

Last edited:
Hahhaa, thanks... shoulda wrote it was Abit knowing I had a big red box next to me with "ABIT" right on it, well if u check the time in the screen shot and add a half hour or so is when i wrote this... so i was tired.... Thanks for the correction and compliment.

Oh nice, seems you were a bit easy on the voltage... My friend will be getting a new CPU soon so I didn't care about cranking the voltage right up. Also due to a bad PSU (and maybe also due to the NF7-S Rev 2.0) The Vcore fluctuates quite a bit (Set at 2.1 it goes anywhere from 2.0 to 2.2 so I have to keep it high to make sure it doesnt go under 2.0V).

Should an 8 hour prime test be enough to prove it stable or should i go longer?

Also do u think some LONG burn-ins could maybe make it possible for me to have the CPU stable even higher? Do you think it could be anything else limiting the overclock (other than the crappy PSU)?

Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0
AMD 2200+ XP
1.5GB Centon DDR 3200 (running 400 in sync with FSB)
Nvidia fx5700 256 AGP
Watercooling
Crappy 400W PSU

Last edited:
It wont last long for sure at 2.1v :) But awesome oc and stable too ! Beats those shoots for glory OC's!

Yeah i'm aware of voltage to death ratio... but like i said life is not much of an issue... but i'm determined to go higher... i started the OC with 2.4GHz stable as my goal, and i really wanna reach it...so i'll try burning in, then increasing voltage...

1.5GB of ram? 3 sticks? I'd try 2 sticks... maybe upping the voltage a bit? Could try burning in it, depends on how much the chip was used before though. If you're using AS5, i'd try letting it set then try again. Maybe try some dry ice on the rad too? :shrug:

Ice on rad is a good idea, i'll def have to up the voltage, and its been used alot, but i'll burn in anyway, maybe i'll just shoot for 2.3V and see where that gets me.

Hmm, ran burn-in for 4 hours... wanted to see how the temps are... at 2.125V it was at 48C at full load, and continued to be so for the last 3 hours of the burn-in. Stopped it because all it was for was temps (so its rock solid). I'm thinking to just crank it upto 2.3V and see if i can get 2.4GHz to be stable. Do you think thats a good idea? I've never ran a Socket A at such voltage... will it really screw the CPU up or will i be fine?

Back