• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's Dirty Little Secret - RX 6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

"Testing the obscure AMD Radeon RX 6300 in 11 popular and demanding games in 2023, using an average gaming PC."

TLDR: Just no

It exists for its own little niche which isn't gaming. It joins the 1030 in the ~30W class and by being newer I would hope it does better in terms of feature support.

Considering it is a Dell OEM LP card for their SFF desktops, it's designed to run Excel and PowerPoint.
A good review would compare it against AMD APUs and Intel in-CPU graphics in productivity-oriented benchmarks.

Agreed, but since when does office work need a dedicated GPU? An AMD/Intel APU would certainly be better in this particular situation, IMHO there's really no point in this card existing, especially with only 2gb VRAM :shrug:

Agreed, but since when does office work need a dedicated GPU? An AMD/Intel APU would certainly be better in this particular situation, IMHO there's really no point in this card existing, especially with only 2gb VRAM :shrug:
That would be the point of the review. If the APUs are better, it would prove the card doesn't need to exist. lol

That would be the point of the review. If the APUs are better, it would prove the card doesn't need to exist. lol
Exactly, so why do companies keep doing it? As posted above, same with the 1030, what was the point, flooding the market with random crap and hoping something sticks?

Exactly, so why do companies keep doing it? As posted above, same with the 1030, what was the point, flooding the market with random crap and hoping something sticks?
In AMD's case it was left over mobile chips that were not selling so they put it on a PCB and released it so as to not waste the silicon. If all you need to do is light up a display its good enough.

Before Zen 4, Ryzen chiplet based CPUs didn't have GPU out. What if you need the higher performance of those CPUs than an APU with more cut backs at a given core count?

Even if you have an APU, maybe you need more display outputs than the mobo provides.

I didn't realise the 6300 was a downclocked 6400, and further crippled with half the VRAM quantity and bandwidth. In nvidia's case, the 1030 was a dedicated smaller die than the nearest 1050.

There will always be situations where there could be a use for this. It certainly isn't for everyone, but those that want it can have it. Before anyone says, get an older used GPU, that path is not an option in many situations.

Before Zen 4, Ryzen chiplet based CPUs didn't have GPU out. What if you need the higher performance of those CPUs than an APU with more cut backs at a given core count?

Even if you have an APU, maybe you need more display outputs than the mobo provides.

I didn't realise the 6300 was a downclocked 6400, and further crippled with half the VRAM quantity and bandwidth. In nvidia's case, the 1030 was a dedicated smaller die than the nearest 1050.

There will always be situations where there could be a use for this. It certainly isn't for everyone, but those that want it can have it. Before anyone says, get an older used GPU, that path is not an option in many situations.
like your Aunt Judy who needs something that works for her new 4k monitor that is scaled up 200% so she can read the font, but her jurassic Dell optiplex cant run 4k on the intel IGP.

like your Aunt Judy who needs something that works for her new 4k monitor that is scaled up 200% so she can read the font, but her jurassic Dell optiplex cant run 4k and the intel IGP.
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

Yeah, forgot... only this gen did AMD get a iGPU. There are plenty of situations where desktop-class CPU horsepower is needed (or just bought, lol) and they just need an image on the screen.

Honestly I'm happy for cards like this. I've blown GPUs before on systems without an iGPU. Sometimes I'm not in a position to drop $600 on a card, but can grab one that costs a tenth of that just to keep the system up.

Back