• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "Advise me please" topic. Would you please do it? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Have you considered thick PWM fans?

I think the Nidec Beta V (eBay them) are excellent for watercooling usage, and almost anything that requires a 120mm.
- They are decently priced, about 15 USD IIRC.
- They are 38mm thick. They should have better pressure than the 25mm counterparts.
- They are pretty powerful. They can rotate at 5000rpm if you want them to. That means noisy, but...
- They are PWM controllable. You can make them be silent for everyday operation, or crank them up to 5K if you need a lot of airflow.

The only downside would be they eat more amperes than a standard one, but if you're watercooling, I guess you don't have a bad power supply, but a pretty nice one.

Palacios, I thought about it. But the main problem is I lack space and I don´t want anything noisy... What radiators would you recommend for GT AP15? I will not overclock a lot.. Im thinking something about going from 3,4 to 4,0 in the CPU and from 1006 to 1150 with the GPU... (That is a low-med OC, right?!)

A low FPI rad. Head over to Skinneelabs.com and spend a day or two.

Look for good wattage ratings at sub-1500RPM fans. The AP-15's are perfect for that. It's all there, you need to read like you said you would.

Edit:

Look at my sig. Buy the rads and fans I have, your set. Can't get the old PA rad anymore, it's like gold. Get two XSPC low FPI. You can run your 6 fans at under 900 RPM. Effectively silent.

Look at my sig. Buy the rads and fans I have, your set. Can't get the old PA rad anymore, it's like gold. Get two XSPC low FPI. You can run your 6 fans at under 900 RPM. Effectively silent.

This so much. When I do maintenance in a year I'm going with low FPI rads and 1000RPM fans. 6 AP-15s at full speed plus 3 140mm's going isn't quiet. I have to get a fan controller STAT.

Okay but there is one thing I dont get it:

You said 6 AP-15... But on my draw it was only 3 fans... Youre saying im supposed to put fans on both side of my radiators?

Okay but there is one thing I dont get it:

You said 6 AP-15... But on my draw it was only 3 fans... Youre saying im supposed to put fans on both side of my radiators?

You do whatever you want Pedro. That is done with not enuff raddage, common, folks think they can handle the noise.

Basically, I'm saying don't ask, figure it out, understand first. Then decide and ask. I can pretty much asume since I been at helping for a few years you haven't got a cool drink and spent hours reading, then reading the next day. It's a job, you don't need that. I learned a fully different way, slow but steady over months, and we had much less info than you do. It was fun chatting and learning about all the things a PC has inside.

It's a hobby, not a goal. Remember that. A hobby is fun. Rushing it isn't fun, it's work.

Conumdrum, here is the thing: I have read A LOT about it, including all those basic guides, a lot of review in skinnee labs and martins, but for some reason you dont seem to believe me.

What I cant understand, is why I cant read and come back here to chat, and then read more?

You dont look like youre very happy so please, if you dont think im commited, dont come back to this thread. OFC I understand that ure very good at WC and know lots of it. But I only want help from those who LIKE to help.

cmon... "You do whatever you want Pedro" ?? Oh I know that. You dont have to tell me. I learned so much in the last days... You can see my evolution just by reading this topic from the beggining to the end. Obviously I need to learn a lot more, but cmon, I already have my project (which you guys seem to approved it), and I already know some stuff that would suit my needs. Dont know if 3 fans and 1x120 + 1x240 rads will be enough to cool my machine, but thats pretty much it.

I am sorry, I really appreciate your help, but youre the one who dont understand that I am applying myself a lot.

BTW, those Noise Blockers -m12-s3hs look really nice... high CFM, low noise...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...5mm_Ultra_Silent_Fan_-_1800_RPM_-_27_dBA.html

Last edited:
Hey pedro, You have to understand something, these guys know whats going on and they are always reading things to so.
And learning everyday, what we know is going to be more direct with you because you started off a thread about a low understandings in WC.

Pedro I think Conumdrom came off like that because your question about fans was very basic knowledge. If you have spent time at Skinees reading the ENTIRE site, you probably wouldn't ask anything especially something about understanding what push/pull is and when to use it.

Pedro, since your case is space-limited, you might consider hanging a radiator off the back side of the computer with this Koolance radiator mount. That way you can hang off 1 120.3 or 120.4 radiator off the back side of the case and leave the inside a lot more uncluttered. I haven't used that particular mount but it looks to be much better quality than the present version of the Swiftech Radbox, which are now made of plasitc and are pretty fragile. I use the original, metal version of the Radbox and they work great, but Swiftech cheaped out and went plastic on them and they are just too easy to break nowadays in plastic. BTW, I did used to own a plastic Radbox and I think I ended up chucking it in the garbage.

I can vouch for the Koolance radiator mount that muddocktor linked to. I have a 120.4 XSPC RX and 4 fans on mine and it works fine. I am on my second one since I tried mounting it differently than Koolance suggested. It bent after two years but was easier to use the quick disconnect with turning it 90°. So the Koolance is a good unit - especially if used as directed. :D

Pedro, I may be wrong, but it appears to me that in post #25 Conumdrum suggested two XSPC RX rads. In your post #27, it was unclear it you had read post #25. Conumdrum repeated himself in post #29. This gave the appearance you were in a rush. We owe each other the courtesy of reading each reply carefully. In post #30, Conumdrum said, "It's a hobby, not a goal. Remember that. A hobby is fun. Rushing it isn't fun, it's work." That's probably the best advice I have seen in a water-cooling thread. I don't know Conumdrum's mind but have read his posts almost daily for years. I think he saw you in a rush so is suggesting you slow down for your own good. Keep water-cooling a hobby and it will stay fun.

To move your build forward, re-read the thread, any links, and the stickies. Spend adequate time at Martin's and Skinnee Labs reading. Sit back and enjoy the learning process. Go through basics like calculate heat load, decide what delta T is satisfactory, Google for additional reviews, but please take your time. Then figure out different ways to water-cool your case. We are here to help. You can always send Conumdrum a private message too. Thank you for the thread. Water-cooling is a fun hobby and learning is fun. Will follow. Good luck. :)

Mounting a rad off the back with the Koolance extender thingy is a great option. I have seen it done cheaper with a bit of modding work, it's extremely solid and looks good. Using some threaded rods, a few bolts and a few holes drilled I have seen a rad extended off the top of the case my 30-40 CM, and the same off the back. It's cheaper and looks good, just more work.

Seen hew folks realize they need mora raddage than expected many times. Outside mounting works great. Some keep it that way, some as they get deeper into modding and the hobby aspect get a bigger case to hold it all.

Take a look at Caselabs cases for a thrill. Or the old venerable Mountain Mods, or even Danger Den acrylic cases. Or a tech stand like mine.

For giggles, my first tech stand with air and then water. Primitive, worked fine.

NekkidPC003.jpg

NekkidPCWCsideresized.jpg

Every day is a learning day. I didin´t stop reading this forum neither skinnee labs, martins and xtreme systems. My last thought now is a mix of Palacio´s first post idea + muddocktor´s idea + Conumdrum´s idea + my own idea.

I am limited in height, yes. But if I put the case on the floor, that limitation disappears. Im thinking about putting a triple rad on top of the case like palacios said, only dif is that is going to be 120 (*3=360) rad not 140mm, and hanging another triple on the back of the case (hoping that my cables will allow this). This is I will not struggle the WC system inside the case AND I will have silent and good WC system. I still have to work A LOT with measures, thoughts, etc. So you will probably gonna see some pictures of my project only in one month (maybe more). The plan is to get a different case in the future, probably a 'cube' case, so I could annihilate my height problem with some good-looking thing..

Thanks again for all the answers, you guys are demonstrating that you´re really helpful... Helping me all the time...

-------------------------

Guys, just to make everything really shinny-crystal-transparent-clear:

All I said about what I have read, it was real. And I understand what push pull is and when to be used, but Conumdrum said one thing that confused me! On my draw, I posted a original picture with 3(three!!!) fans on my project. That was very clear, and then I think he mistyped one sentence talking about my 6 fans. That confused me, cause I know that he knows what he is talking about, so I asked to make sure I was fully understanding. Im sorry if looked like some lazy post. It wasn´t.

Here is the post, I quoted so you guys can understand.

You can run your 6 fans at under 900 RPM..

Thanks again, specially to Conumdrum, who didin´t listened to my 'silly' post and came back here with some more good ideas.

Sorry for my personality, it´s just that I prefer to come here and try to solve things, saying what I have in mind even if not everyone is gonna like it, then just fleeing the forum forever and trying to find some other place.. Or pretending that I am fully satisfied with what u guys are saying to me.

No worries Pedro, every new person is different and we deal with each differently in many ways, and my daily life/attitudes come into play, as yours do. Your really on the right track and it's been a couple weeks almost. Your doing fine and learned a billion things. Amazing how complicated it is eh? One thing, since you live in a beautiful country, but so far in shipping time and costs, make sure you get it right the first time.

You haven't left or gone to a suspect forum where no one is right. Good for you. OCF builds great WC rigs, and makes sure you understand. Otherwise we won't advance PC watercooling and the science.

We want it right for you.

Very, very, VERY complicated. I tought it was only "Tubes and Water"...
In fact, I am learning so much that I still dont have figured out whats best for my case.
I will continue reading and learning till I decide. I´ll let you guys know about my progress.

All I can say is, don't turn on your pc right after you build everything lol

Back