• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another interesting pump 12V dc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BeerHunter said:
Where are you getting this data? and why is'nt the d4 incorporated into your graph?

Here is the data I'm using. http://www.procooling.com/articles/assets/images/ph-pc-pqcurves.gif

And unless it's inaccurate the d4 smokes all the other pumps using thier numbers above.

Got the data from the same place as Phaestus, but the data is riddled with anomalies. Centrifugal PQ curves don't jump up and down all over the place. Take a look at my graph, or Phaestus's. They are all smooth and curve down gracefully from a high point.

I basically massaged a "best-fit" line through the horrendous data that was given using the stated peak pressure head to produce a sane looking PQ curve that is still fairly consistent with reported data. I could be wrong (probably am), but there is no way in heck that the original Mag3 data is correct.

Phaestus only has half the pumps you have listed. However a cursory glance and metric conversion seems to indicate the pumps he does have coorelate with your graph. Again plot the d4 on that graph and you'll see, graphcally, the domination of the d4. Or at least tell me how I can post my so-to-be-revised-using-your-complete-graph-numbers graph to that site:) And I passed AP chemistry this year so I'll even use metric:D

BeerHunter said:
Again plot the d4 on that graph and you'll see, graphcally, the domination of the d4.

Quick'n'dirty - added the March 893-09 pump as well.

pq2.gif

Quick n dirty is good enough.:D..As I said to this post.

Originally posted by found404
From the graph aren't the specs of the d4 similar the mcp600 but it draws more watts and costs more? Or have i got the wrong impression?
They do seem to have a great rated life though.

BeerHunter said:

In my reading of the graph the D4 seems to have superior performance at every interval.

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/pump_comparison__-_phaestus__1.php

Another way of saying it is it dominates the MCP-600.:D I'd still like to know where you're getting your mumbers..specifically the MAG 3 numbers which don't seem to jive or seem really incredible compared to the other mag drive pumps. Iwakis are certainly impressive but then Phaestus did'nt include them:)

BeerHunter said:
Another way of saying it is it dominates the MCP-600.:D I'd still like to know where you're getting your mumbers..specifically the MAG 3 numbers which don't seem to jive or seem really incredible compared to the other mag drive pumps. Iwakis are certainly impressive but then Phaestus did'nt include them:)

I take it that you missed this thread then:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263209

I explained the Mag3 curve. Phaestus and I used the same data. Phaestus just plotted the points, which produced something that looks nothing like a realistic centrifgual pump PQ curve. The curve I presented is my appromixation. Take a look at the various threads around here on the Mag3 vs the Eheim 1250. The Mag3 is a dramatically stronger pump than the 1250 when pumping through restrictions. The curve that I presented, in comparison to the 1250, seems more consistent with user experiences. Again, it is an approximation, but one that I believe to be somewhat close to reality.

Edit: Mag3 vs 1250 comparison here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248390

Nice. mag is definitly the best bang for the buck excluding noise and longevity factors which I can't begin to desern.

However, we are talking about 12V DC pumps that one can connect to power supply in this thread and more pointenly comparing the D4 to the MCP-600 from swiftech, which if both charts are accuate, and assuming equal noise/longevity levels, the d4 is the clear winner in pump power (p/q curves). And since the d4 seems to have MBTF of 5 times the MCP-600 score another point for this little doosey.:D The only isssue still remaining, for me at least, is noise which I'll call myself tomorrow for. The mag3 and ehiem are also great options though..some better than others.:D

Edit: Is the mag a centrfugal pump or mag drive?

Last edited:
The March 893-09-1/2 is another excellent 12VDC pump to take a look at. Continuously rated brushless DC motor. 1/2" outlet with threaded inlet (stick as large a barb on the inlet as possible). A touch better than the MCP600 across the board except at the full open-flow stages (which means nothing). Available from www.depcopump.com (see page 9 of their catalog).

I don't believe that noise will be an issue. Have yet to hear a brushless DC pump that makes more noise than an 8cm case fan.

AngryAlpaca said:
Yep. I have a pair of 30 DBa fans, and just one of them is too loud for my liking. :(

Interesting. I have a Davies-Craig EBP pump. I'd say it was about as loud as a 30dBA 80cm case fan. When inside the case with the case closed I cannot hear it at all. What I can hear above all else is the 120mm Panaflo H1A being run at 7V, and that's pretty quiet.

Remember, the pump will typically sit inside the case, not at some opening blowing/sucking air. Makes a large difference to the audible noise when the case is closed.

BeerHunter said:

Hey you see this I posted in another thread, good news perhaps.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994086

Only if you consider 0.05GPM and 85-100C CPU temps "good news".

Remember, whenever these companies start spouting cooling performance figures, they always leave off what temp the CPU would be running at. CPU's are fine to run at about 100C or so, and that's what they target - keeping a lid on CPU temps - not providing CPU temps as close to ambient as possible.

AngryAlpaca said:
Yep. I have a pair of 30 DBa fans, and just one of them is too loud for my liking. :(
Not the 120mm evercool aluminum fans are they? IF so, they are NOT 30dBa.

Remember, the pump will typically sit inside the case, not at some opening blowing/sucking air. Makes a large difference to the audible noise when the case is closed.

Yes true, noise transmission is given by the following equation: R=20 log(fm)-47dB

Notice m, which is mass.. Get a really heavy case.:D

I'm afriad I understand now why swifttech does'nt publish thier dB ratings in thier pump. According to the acctual maker of the pump it produces 55 dB...Not what I'd call quiet, In fact since it's a logarithmic scale it's way louder than a decent 80mm case fan.

Back