• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another interesting pump 12V dc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BeerHunter said:
I'm afriad I understand now why swifttech does'nt publish thier dB ratings in thier pump. According to the acctual maker of the pump it produces 55 dB...Not what I'd call quiet, In fact since it's a logarithmic scale it's way louder than a decent 80mm case fan.

Depends on how they're measured. Can't say that many PC fan manufacturers exactly state figures that are realistic. Adding about 15dBA onto any fan manufacturer specification is more likely to yield an accurate value. In general most fans don't sit inside padded sound-absorbing chambers.

55dBA is what Delta rate their 80CFM 80mm screamers at. I reckon a lot of people would've complained by now if the MCP600 was that loud.

What can I say..most of the systems I've seen on display here are LOADED up with fans so they are no more the wiser since the pump noise is being drowned out having all those fans. Reminds me of my mom who had a rattleing door in her car and just turned up the radio to make it go away:D

Hmmm now that I think about it maybe it was to shut me up:D

BTW- You ever see that BS fan rating done by directron.com? They compared thermally resistor fans like the enermax to both fans w/and/w/o resitors. Some running at full bore.

Last edited:
For the metrically inclined, here's the Dx series of pumps PQ curves and power draw chart.

Note: 10kPa = 1.02mH2O of pressure

d4.gif

so...

ummm cathar,

where can i buy one of these things?

and how much do they cost exactly?

and are there any places that sell em' outside of the us?

cause my bosch fuel pump isn't helping my temps at all; and yes, its that big ugly thing that does something like 6 amps

Spoke to Laing again.

Pump noise was described as "a whisper quiet low-pitched hum". Also described as less than 40dBA. The engineer wasn't able to give me an exact figure from the top his head, but stated that it exceeded the requirements for office noise levels from computers, which is 40dBA maximum. He was also quite aware that the pumps do get used for water cooling loops in computers.

Price for 1-249 pumps is $95 US. For 250-499 pumps it is $78 US(obviously small scale industry price breaks). Above 500 pumps there is a further price break but I didn't ask what it was.

Good info.

Sometimes I think it's just better to buy a 15ft KVM cable, put the puter in the closet, spare bedroom, whatever, and be done with it if your looking for silence in a completely silent environment with virtually no ambient noise like mine.:(

BeerHunter said:
Good info.

Sometimes I think it's just better to buy a 15ft KVM cable, put the puter in the closet, spare bedroom, whatever, and be done with it if your looking for silence in a completely silent environment with virtually no ambient noise like mine.:(

Except for changing CD's. In which case perhaps a USB2 player attached from a distance?

Cathar said:

Except for changing CD's. In which case perhaps a USB2 player attached from a distance?

Well ya. But don't even bring up CD players. I went though about 5 before finding the "quiet" samsungs. Most soound like an harrier aircraft in true lies.

Has anyone from the forum purchased one of these pumps? I'm seriously thinking about it. I hate the fact that I have to have a relay to run my Mag 3. Relays can fail, and I see this as a weakness in my setup. Of course, I could run the pump 24/7, but I made the decision to not do that because it is right next to my bed.

The Mag 3 has had no problems with my setup, but it's large and requires 120V AC. I'm enamored with the little DC pump mentioned in this thread, and would prefer it over the MAG 3, but the price of this pump makes me want to find out more from folks in real water cooling setups.

Anyone?....

After reading this discussion in this thread i'm now more convinced this is a good, compared to what i thought originally. I'm considering it now as well, being in the uk it shouldn't be to difficult to get one.

But i've just put my new cooling rig together so it would be a pain to take it apart and leak test again but i could consider it since it's a external unit and not yet being used.

If i get one i will keep you guys posted.

One thing that bothers me about this pump is it's what looks to be like limited mass around the motor housing. Mass barriers are the key element to preventing sound trassmission (along with a well designed pump of course) and this pump looks weak in that department looking at the photo.

Of course, theres nothing to give these photos perpective but ususally how they build a pump quiet is with massive either non-ferrous epoxy or plastic encasing the motor mechanism.

Here is the Laing which housing looks small relative to it's pumping machanism.

Laing%20D4%203.jpg

Compare that to Danner or Iwakis DC series which have massive sound barriers:

detailed.jpg

rd2types.jpg

I have two of the Laing D4 pumps coming.

I'll refrain from making further speculation on the noise of the pumps, other than what I mentioned above as was informed to me by the Laing engineer, until the pumps arrive.

Cathar said:
I have two of the Laing D4 pumps coming.

I'll refrain from making further speculation on the noise of the pumps, other than what I mentioned above as was informed to me by the Laing engineer, until the pumps arrive.

are they coming from germany or the states?

Cathar said:

From USA. Should be here by week's end.

here's hoping - can't wait to hear if they're as good in the flesh as they seem....

p.s. is it me or is your "vacation" leading to more watercooling activity/experimentation rather than less? ;)

2 D4's? Is the D3 a little weak for your taste? If I were testing I prolly ordered one d4 and one d3... I think d3 would be a good replacement for the <1250 ehiems. Anyway Great news Cather...can't wait for a review.:D

Back