• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another monitor (no signal) issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kylezor

Registered
FSB change = death?

ok this is my first post in these forums (which i decided to join due to this problem..)

i have a gigabyte ga7n400

all that i did was go into the bios
and change fsb to 200
(it was on 166)

thats ALL i changed

i saved and exited... my comp restarted and the monitor turned off
with no signal..

the computer continued to boot without the monitor on..
i do not believe that it fully booted becuase i did not hear a beep where there would be one after the first bios page..

so then it just sits there..

im stuck.. and have no idea what to do

graphics card : fx 5600
proc : 2600+
mem : 512 pc3200 (on dual)

thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forums!

Clear your CMOS which will reset your FSB

It was probably too big a jump in FSB and it can't handle it.

You need to make smaller changes and test them for stability

You will most likely have to add a bit more VCore to make it run stable at a high FSB.

What brand of memory are you using?

Regards, Balrog

im not sure the steps to properly clear the CMOS

some friends told me that there should be a jumper near the battery that i need to take off then place on the next set of pins.. then back..

another said that i need to take the battery out.. start the comp up and that should revert the bios to default.

well..

there were no jumpers near the battery and when i tried the battery thing it did the same thing..

i have to check on the brand of mem later
im pretty sure that its kingston tho

ty :D

unplug the power and remove battery then hit power switch couple of times to make sure power is cycled (you dont have to hit the power button but it doesnt hurt) wait a couple of mins then plug back in and power up. as for your clear jumper there should be a couple pins marked clr cmos or something along that lines near or around the battery that is the jumpers you have to connect but removing battery will do the same thing

i bow to both of you

one more issue tho

it now says that im running at 1.252 ghz

i should be running at 2.08
but the comp seems to be runing the same if not cleaner than before..

what do i need to change to bring that back up to 2.08 or better?

another trick... if this happens to you again, press and hold the insert key while turning your PC back on. this will reset the FSB to 100mhz, then all you have to do is change you FSB back to where you had stable before i.e. 12.5x166, not everything else like clock, date, boot up seq etc...

Lee:)

you are correct that it did make it 100 for fsb.. then i changed it to 166 and it still does not say xp 2600+ @ 2.08 on the bios

?

another thing..

on the main bios load page (during normal boot up)

where it should say

AMD xp 2600+

it says

AMD xp 1243mhz
cpu ID : 0681

hahah yes i am saving them..

i am using cpu-z
im sure you are familiar with this prog?

anyway im confused becuase on it .. it says that my fsb is 100
and that my "bus speed" is 166

but in bios i defenately changed the "fsb": to 166

good call on that crtl f1 deal

i was able to turn mem to 100% i put it on aggressive

but it still says that my proc is 1250

could somehting have happend when i did the battery thing to the version of the bios?

could that have some sort of impact on the proc detection?

remooving the battery is a standard way of resetting BIOS and its unlikely to have done any damage, This is kinda strange though. CPU-Z is reporting FSB of 166 and a bus speed of 100? bus speed should 333.

OK scratching head. try setting system performance to Normal, FSB to 166 and Memory frequency to By SPD

In bios under Frequency/Voltage control, it should be in the right hand column, do you have optons for cpu frequency? I think your only changing memory frequency.

Back