• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another win 8 thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gangaskan

here is my gripe with windows 8

touchscreens for tablet pc's

right now, i'm testing the RTM on a Lifebook T900 and its a resistive touch. multitouch is still "eh" and it suffers from the obvious touch issues due to the screen. flipping through menu's and dragging apps from the top suffers as well.

app compatibility, now i know older apps are going to struggle installing, but i have a app that requires some form of sql (it comes with MSDE 2000) i can work around and install 05 / 08 / 12 HOWEVER, one of my biggest issues is installing them require dot net 3.0 and or 2.0 for the installer ..... windows 8 comes with 4.0 by default and you cant install 2 or 3, i've tried and it wont install without them being present in win 8 :bang head

forcing of metro (the obvious)

i have tried the vistart app, i like it, however, it wont boot fully into the desktop environment. you have to run the program first. i read that microsoft is going to not let you group policy the start menu like you can for server 12, is that true?

so far .... thats my gripe :) microsoft, eat it and make something worthwhile. know wonder why i've switched to linux / osx :thup:

hmm i was just rying to sell one of those touch smarts for my friend its a 27" should have put windows 8 on it to try it out lol

you don't understand
Windows RT will be successful because it will propel apps on Windows Phone 8, which will be successful because of Windows RT

this is MS's strategy

* [Always boot into Windows 8 Desktop, bypassing Windows 8 Metro:]

Right-click on the lower left corner > Click on the yellow File Explorer icon > View > Options > View TAB > SELECT: Show hidden files, folders, and drives and UNCHECK: Hide extensions for known file types > OK > Now go to Computer > C Drive > Windows > Right click on empty space > New > Text document > name the file NoMetro > Open it in Notepad and enter the following:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=Explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

File > Save > Rename the file's extension to .scf so the file is now called NoMetro.scf (even if .scf extension is not visible)

Right-click on the lower left corner > Run > control schedtasks

Task Scheduler Library > Create Task… (upper right) > Name: NoMetro > Triggers TAB > New… > Drop down menu > At log on > OK >

Actions TAB > New... > Browse to C:\Windows\NoMetro.scf you created above (even if .scf extension is not visible) > Open > OK > OK

so, it released today, what news do we get? :D first thing i want to know, is metro able to be disabled? ;) if so i know what im asking for for Christmas!

Microsoft does not give you that option. You have to do it yourself either manually or by running one of the programs that do it.

Still will be useless for business. Can't retrain older people on how to use something new. They've been using Windows there whole time with computers, and barely know enough to get by. Try telling them that everything they were used to doing is different because Microsoft thinks touchscreens are the way to go? NOPE. Not gonna happen. We'll keep using XP/7 until Microsoft gets there heads on straight..

great, well looks like were stuck with xp for another 4 years. (im tired of it)

Still will be useless for business. Can't retrain older people on how to use something new. They've been using Windows there whole time with computers, and barely know enough to get by. Try telling them that everything they were used to doing is different because Microsoft thinks touchscreens are the way to go? NOPE. Not gonna happen. We'll keep using XP/7 until Microsoft gets there heads on straight..

I don't have a touch screen and I really have grown to like the new UI combo. As for the business scenario, I won't be surprised to see touch screens deployed in business environments or if large companies like SAP start to develop Windows 8 spec apps. Eventually home users & your basic office user will spend less time in the classic desktop mode. I remember when Windows 7 & Office 2010 were first deployed where I work --- it caused an uproar, now those same users will go crazy & panic if you try and take away the new features & layout of Windows 7 & Office 2010. It's just shock and leaves you confused at first --- simply because it's new & unfamiliar (just like Windows 8 --- a lot of you are guilty of this) but you'll be amazed at how quick these "old" ppl catch on. They think they're more dumb and more computer illiterate than they really are.

I was thinking about putting win 8 on my HTPC, seems like a good fit. Though I havent read up on win 8 at all :shrug:

yea cept youd have to use xbmc or something because windows media center seems to have to be purchased separately in a something pack that is another 70 bucks. would make a wii controller pretty awesome to use on though :)

thats what they need to do is include a wii controller and a light bar bluetooth dongle and bam that would be better than a mouse or touch screen ;D

I don't have a touch screen and I really have grown to like the new UI combo. As for the business scenario, I won't be surprised to see touch screens deployed in business environments or if large companies like SAP start to develop Windows 8 spec apps. Eventually home users & your basic office user will spend less time in the classic desktop mode. I remember when Windows 7 & Office 2010 were first deployed where I work --- it caused an uproar, now those same users will go crazy & panic if you try and take away the new features & layout of Windows 7 & Office 2010. It's just shock and leaves you confused at first --- simply because it's new & unfamiliar (just like Windows 8 --- a lot of you are guilty of this) but you'll be amazed at how quick these "old" ppl catch on. They think they're more dumb and more computer illiterate than they really are.

We will never get touchscreens where I work. For some positions, it might work ok, but for many it wouldn't. The software just wouldn't work. Not to mention, tell them they have to reach over a desk instead of using the mouse. For tablets, it looks pretty slick, but for a business desktop user to be using a touchscreen all day while constantly entering data? Not going to happen. Not IMHO.

I've used 8 for several weeks, both in earlier releases and in the RC, and I absolutely can say without a doubt that I personally hate it. I think it is the worst move Microsoft could make. I have no desire to catch on to what they think is the way to go. It just doesn't make any sense.

What is the point of getting windows 8 if you need to add a start button.

microsoft mad a real bad move with windows 8 with a HTPC or 30" screen using touch screen is a real bad move i hope microsoft does real bad with windows 8 and makes something for desk top pc users that's better than windows 7:bang head:bang head

Touch screen is so slow with big screens the mouse is much faster and easer especially if your using your desktop for hours.:(:bang head

What is the point of getting windows 8 if you need to add a start button.

microsoft mad a real bad move with windows 8 with a HTPC or 30" screen using touch screen is a real bad move i hope microsoft does real bad with windows 8 and makes something for desk top pc users that's better than windows 7:bang head:bang head

Touch screen is so slow with big screens the mouse is much faster and easer especially if your using your desktop for hours.:(:bang head

Reminds me of all the junk the Wii, Move, and Connect do...can't I just sit on the couch and play a game without dancing around?

Back